Monday, August 26, 2013

Reading to a Writer

A friend of mine once told me that if you want to write, you should also read. This is very true! I had begun writing before I had any interest in reading, and I would say that even though I liked my stories then, they really could have been better.

Nearing the end of 2012, I decided that I should seriously take on reading as a hobby. I decided to begin with the classics, because they are the stories that have lasted generations and have proven themselves. My first book was "Of Mice and Men." My author friend Shawn O'Toole made fun of me because he supposed I might have thought it was a book about a mice which everyone knows I love. I knew well what I was getting into, however.

I read the book rather slowly-as I was not used to reading-and by the end of it, I found that it was an experience that I needed more of. I cried by the end of that book, and my heart had been warmed as if I had been apart of the entire account portrayed by the author.

After taking some time to decide what classic I would tackle next, I chose "Moby Dick." I think this book was a turning point for me, for I had found a style that really pleased me. I began reading other stories by Melville as well. "Typee" and "Omoo" ended up being my favorite.

Since then, I have been trying to write in a 19th century style in a couple of books I have been working on. I really love how it sounds to me, and I am taking it very seriously. Stories from that era drive my inspiration for all things forward, and I find myself thinking about different scenarios and happenings that I wish to put into new adventures.

As I said before, anyone who wants to write should read as well, and I think that when they find that certain author or style that they love the most, it will really open up their minds to new ideas that they can implement into their own works. Inspiration and imagination are wonderful things especially when they work in conjunction.

Please feel free to comment to this blog if you like. I can also be reached by e-mail at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. So honest, heartfelt and utterly true. Interesting how you found so much more than you even sought. The adventure itself rewards so generously. You invest the wealth so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree that a love of writing and a love of reading go hand-in-hand. I have learned a great deal from the many books that I have read...

    ReplyDelete