Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Rodent Spotlight: Vole

As humans, we often take time for granted. We are born into this world and fully expect many thousands of days ahead of us where we can accomplish many things. This is not the case for the lowly vole. Although some species of this rodent can last a few years, the majority of them have a lifespan that last from three to six months. During this time, they must do what they can to live a life worth living.

I suppose I can find passion in things where most people would turn a blind eye. I imagined myself as one of these little creatures and saw a very rushed existence. A cute girl vole would be nice. Chances are that she would be about as hurried for a relationship as I would be. Being that--at this point--I am already counting the days, I have thoroughly prepared my bucket list, and on the top of it is that I must do something to make a difference. My girlfriend felt the same way so we tried to put our little vole heads together.

In the Welkin Weasel book series by Garry Kilworth, Voles were commonly used like cattle for their meat and milk. My vole girlfriend--who has just now chosen the name Cherry for herself after her favorite fruit--thinks that this is not the correct way to go about things. Although milk is a popular commodity, we still have our dignity--as Cherry put it. I take her opinion very highly as most vole husbands are quite loyal to their mates.

We tried a bit of acting, but people always complained that there wasn't really a market for thirteen second plays. This was a bit of a downer since we already had produced ten children which each married and produced ten children of their own. It's a big family now, and we all have to do what we can to support each other--loyalty and all that.

And now that my life is almost over, I look back on it and try to think if me and Cherry accomplished anything worth mentioning. We had so little time to do everything on the list, and I'm fairly certain only one thing got checked off. I found a wife who truly loves me, and I stuck by her for the whole of the ninety days that we were together. Our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren, and so-forth have all moved on and are doing what they can to fill the world with their mirth. It may not have been a long life, but me and Cherry are fairly certain that it was a worthwhile one. We are happy voles and are quite ready to move on.

Thank you for reading this blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can leave me an email at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. So long.


4 comments:

  1. When your time is short, you must make every minute count. The quantity is not as important as the quality. Dynamite comes in small packages, and even a brief existence can make an impact...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never a bad time to start making a difference right now.

      Delete
  2. "Cherry?" Her favorite fruit? Maddeningly cute! I love how you show them living their brief existence as a hectic striving for accomplishment. They enjoy many generations worth of fulfillment in the blink of an eye. Adorable love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud of this one. I came out of it feeling a little sad.

      Delete