Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Felidae Spotlight: Sphynx

I was sitting here tonight thinking about bringing my animal spotlights to an end. I've been considering doing that for a while now. I have lately felt as if I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for animals that I really adore. Sure, there are a lot more animals out there, but I have only been doing spotlights for ones that really make me smile. Although, I am not certain how many I have left before I get to the final one, be sure that it will not be far off.

Whatever the case, I did manage to find--or rather remember--an animal of which I intended to spotlight quite some time ago. The Sphynx is just such an animal. When I first saw this cat, I was actually put off by it. But they just grew on me, and now, I rather love them. I even wish I had one as a pet, but I am sure Cupcake (my cat) would not at all agree with this decision.

I had too much trouble finding size information for the Sphynx, but you may be sure that they are about the size of the average house cat. Their main qualities come by way of their physical appearances. They have very large and wide pointed ears. Their eyes have a sort of lemon shape--very expressive. They are sometimes known to glare at people in an evil way. Their bodies are very muscular. I saved the best for last. The Sphynx has absolutely no fur on its body. Even their tails are bare which gives them a sort of whip-like appearance when it swings about. Because of their lack of fur, the Sphynx generally looks for places to snuggle up for warmth. Sometimes, the owner will let them wear sweaters.

The Sphynx's strange appearance was the product of selective breeding in the 1960's. This breeding was accomplished in Wadena, Minnesota and in Toronto, Canada. Their unique appearance makes them very popular... and very expensive.

Personality-wise, they are extroverts. These cats are friendly, intelligence, and curious about their owners and strangers alike. They also do not feel that bad to the touch. I petted one once and found it to be rather enjoyable.

Unfortunately, this breed does suffer from various health issues. They have difficulties with the cold when young and often have to be helped through this period. They have a high rate of heart disease. 34% are found to have an abnormal heart. There is also a small chance of the cat getting muscular dystrophy which basically means a stark loss of muscle mass over time.

I do not know of any Sphynx cats in fiction, but I actually prefer to see them as evil creatures. There is something so creepy in seeing this sort of animal scowl. He would probably be rather vexed to be born without fur and wish to enact revenge. Alternatively, the Sphynx can also be cast as an evil god-like ruler. He certainly looks the part.

If you ever run across one of these cats, don't be scared. Try petting it. You might be surprised how enjoyable they are! Check out these pictures!

Thank you for reading my blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Hiss!










4 comments:

  1. They look a bit scary, but I'm sure they are quite friendly. Since they have no fur, I can see why they would have problems with the cold. The kittens are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Bigglesworth what happened to your fur! Haha In all seriousness I've always found Sphynxs to be interesting, they seem more frail than your average cat but I can see them as a highly intelligent super villian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love them as villains. Vincent needs a rival.

      Delete