Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Fool and the Ferret

So this is the last of my own person fables. "The Fool and the Ferret" was written back in 2015 during a hilarious ferret phase I went through. (Although it may not have ever actually stopped.) Here is the fable in full. I hope you enjoy it!

-----

Once there was a fool who knew not the value of money. He tossed any coin away that possessed an imperfection–such as a scratch. A ferret came by and snatched the coins away to place in his treasure trove. To himself, he stated, “I should never spend any of this, for if I do, I shall not be as wealthy!” But really, who would sell to a ferret but another fool!

-----

So I was playing on the trope about how ferrets like stealing stuff and stashing it all away. They really do that. And yes, they will steal money. The point of the story was to show a comparison between wastefulness and miserliness. Not to be punny, but the concepts can often be two sides of the same coin.

The fool was very cavalier with his spending habits. It seemed like he did not understand anything of value. The ferret did understand value but did nothing but save and collect. Both are really not any good.

I was somewhat surprised that I tried to write a moral tale about money. Money has never really been a huge deal to me other than simply needing it to survive. I think I just wanted to come up with a good and clever ferret fable.

The very last sentence doubles as a really weird moral. It sounds more to me like a punchline. I tend to be very cyclic in my thinking sometimes. I probably saw it as a way to just bring the short fable into a full circle in the form of a joke. I don't think it is really all that serious in its meaning, but I hope you found it funny. But if you have a better moral for it, lay it on me!

Thank you for reading my blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Dook!

6 comments:

  1. A ferret's treasures are shiny things. You simply played on the pun "treasures" and made the shiny things money. As for the moral, yes, a treasure is squandered whether thrown away out of hand or hoarded never to be used. People treat their talents the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose it does work well as a comparison fable.

      Delete
  2. Money is a resource. It is not to be wasted nor hoarded but to be used. What you do with it ultimately determines its value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fine fable and cute because it involves a ferret, gotta love the greedy little guys. Money is a means to an end storing it up to never be used is a waste of energy, spending it carelessly is also a poor choice because it leaves us with limited resources and can lead to us becoming a burden on others. I find the best way to spend money is as a means to produce creative endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the ridiculous mind of a collector. Having so much but doing nothing with it. What a waste.

      Delete