Monday, March 20, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Rat [Short Story Review]

"Rat" is a short story written by James Patrick Kelly. It was published in 1986. I came so close to ripping on this story in this review. I got half way through it and was so angry. But something happened that changed how I felt about it.

The only reason I read this story at all was because I was such a fan of "Think Like a Dinosaur." I wanted to look into the other titles that James Patrick Kelly had written. Really, that story charmed the hell out of me. When that sort of thing happens, I sometimes peek around a bit to see what else is out there.

Being a fan of rats, I saw a title that suited my own personal interest and picked it up. A story about a rat. I can deal with that... or so I thought. My first session with this story was fraught with confusion. I made it half way and had no idea the details and scale of the story. It was a confusing mess, and I was pretty angry. Realizing I only had halfway to go, I was already preparing to write a very mean review, ripping it apart.

I thought better of myself though. I wondered if the confusion was my fault. I went onto the internet and began reading reviews. It was very mixed. A few people felt the same way I did. Everything in the book felt random and disconnected. It was a bit like reading a jigsaw puzzle that had not been assembled yet. But then something changed everything. I happened upon the synopsis, and this is what it said:

In a hard-edged cyberpunk future, a courier has stolen a load of the most dangerous, most dazzling drug ever invented and is smuggling it into New York City. Pursued by a hired hit woman disguised as a young girl and a federally-appointed vigilante, he must find his way through the mean streets of Manhattan to his lair. He is ruthless, amoral, and a rat. Not just figuratively, but literally: a two-foot-long, walking, talking rat. Hearing is believing.

This synopsis actually acts as a cypher for the complete story. If you read it, and then immediately read the story... it all makes sense. It's like unlocking the keys to your comprehension! Why did he do it this way?

The last line of the synopsis, "hearing is believing," really spells it out. This is a story about ridiculously unrelated thing all assembled in a surprising cohesive manner. It all works, but if you aren't ready for it, it's going to sound like gibberish. In order to understand this story, you simply must believe everything it says even if you normally wouldn't. That's the trick. It's a story all about suspending your disbelief.

In that sense, this is actually a great example of bizarro fiction. Bizarro fiction is all about taking a ridiculous concept and then writing it as seriously as you possibly can. "Rat" completely does this, and, for that reason, I recommend it. It's a good science fiction story too to the tune of Blade Runner. Just make sure you read the synopsis first. You're gonna need it.

This blog was written on March 2, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting that the nonsense is actually sensical, but only in context. I am a writer of fiction and have been entertaining a ridiculous idea I want to take seriously. This blog has convinced me to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with bizzaro fiction. I have enjoyed a number of them. There is a balance to be struck though.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that you almost gave up on the book until you found the key to the puzzle haha. Sounds like a fascinating read, bizarro fiction can be a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If done well, it can challenge the mind quite a bit.

      Delete
  3. One's expectations can ruin the enjoyment of a story. I have had this happen with music, as well. To prevent it, I learned to give the work a second look or listen.

    ReplyDelete