Monday, July 24, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Horse and His Boy [Book Review]

"The Horse and His Boy" is the chronologically third book in "The Chronicles of Narnia" series written by C. S. Lewis. It was published in 1954. This one takes place in that missing time in the last chapter of "A Lion, A Witch, and a Wardrobe." That's cool.

The title is also really funny. It starts off with a boy being the companion of a horse, and not the other way around. Also most of the book doesn't even take place in Narnia. I didn't fully understand that Narnia was a realm within a world and not the world itself, Although the first book seems to suggest that it was all the creation of Aslan anyhow. Weird.

This story covers the journey of a boy named Shasta as he tries to escape to the land of Narnia with his horse Bree. The author writes this one a bit more eloquently and it came across as a fun fantasy adventure from beginning to end.

The most fun I had in it was a battle that took place where an old man basically pulls a John Madden and comments on everything that happens as if it was a sporting event. It made it seem way more exciting than it probably was.

As good and exciting as this story is, it's not my favorite so far. That honor seems to be tied with the first two at the moment. I'm being a little indecisive there, but I still do recommend this one. You may notice that I am trying very hard not to spoil the main points. It's just a good story worth your time, and it also serves as a bit of an anomaly since it technically takes place in the middle of a separate story. Good stuff! I'm looking forward to the next one already!

This blog was written on July 12, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I read the book long ago. I remember Shasta's girlfriend becomes his dominating wife. The way the horse treated him, Shasta seemed to prefer things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battle was the most memorable part for sure. I agree, It's not a bad story but not the best of the series. It's still a fun story that I'd recommend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun in it's own way and shows a period that gets skipped in another book.

      Delete
  3. A lot can happen in such a strange place. So, you really need to pay attention. There is much to find for those who are looking.

    ReplyDelete