Monday, August 21, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Oz Gazette #16 [Review]

"The Oz Gazette" is a sort of mock newspaper created by the International Wizard of Oz Club, which I am a member of. The present one I am reviewing is #16 which is the Spring 2023 edition. I'm mainly going to review the idea of this to begin with and then talk about what this edition was about.

The whole concept of "The Oz Gazette" is that you are reading an actual newspaper that somehow got from Oz into your own hands. So you are reading news that is happening in Oz about the same time as its happening.

It appears, from what I can tell, that the Scarecrow is the lead editor. He isn't the only writer though. For example, it appears that the Woggle Bug has his own section, which honestly makes a lot of sense. There are also sections that can be written by Royal Historians or other people who may have gone to Oz and come back. Cool!

The newspaper also acknowledges the books and the authors who wrote them. This kind of makes sense since the official Oz books were supposed to be written by people who were either in the know or had actually been there. They were not called Royal Historians for no reason.

I should say that it is a little too bad they didn't call it the Ozmapolitan which is the actual canon Oz newspaper, but perhaps it could be said that there is more than one in the Emerald City. What do you think? Should they have used the more canon newspaper name for this?

As far as issue #16, I was a bit shocked to find out that the Nome King had taken over Ozma's throne. They were all tricked by a henchman made out of paper, claiming to work for Ozma in her absence. As for Ozma, she had been whisked away to our world on a live-stream of some kind. Sounds fishy to me!

Most of the newspaper had articles about the Nome King, much of it trying to figure him out since he is not a very good person to have ruling over you. There was even a section about different types of eggs in case you need ammo to fight back. (Nomes apparently consider eggs to be poisonous.) On that note, one of the first things the Nome King did was turn Billina the chicken into a penguin which can apparently only lay one egg per year... or something. Clever though!

The newspaper was fully illustrated too, and I admire the work they put into it. I admit to being very interested in the modern goings on at the Emerald City. Makes me feel like the place is actually somewhere out there. I feel bad for the Scarecrow who has to edit this newspaper in some closet since he's presently trying to hide from the treacherous Nome King.

Do I recommend this thing? Well.. yes. But how are you going to get this yourself? These are very hard to find, and you pretty much have to have a membership to receive them. Either way, I'm sold. Good stuff. I like what this organization is doing, and I hope they continue.

This blog was written on August 3, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. They probably went with a different name for the paper so the first issue would indeed be the first issue. The Ozmapolitan was already "in print" since long ago.

    So much love! Things only come from love. Things are cheap without it. This is crafted at every level by people who love OZ at every level. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was a special treat that I enjoyed reading.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea, why not have articles from your favorite fictional universe. Such immersion is fun especially when loved by those who are writing it. That Nome King is always up to no good for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any other thing like this. It's so cool.

      Delete