Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Mustelidae Spotlight: Skunk

Now, here is a musty that I am sure you have heard of. The skunk is forever scent-nonimous with bad smells. Where the ferret just smells bad, the skunk has the frightening ability to pass on that trait to their enemies. Without getting too far ahead of myself, let's talk in more detail about the wonderful world of skunks.

Skunks are omnivores who enjoy a good walk through the forest. They pretty much go where they please, and don't worry too much about predators. Skunks are burrowers, and similar to their walking habits, they make their home anywhere they deem advantageous. I like this about skunks. It's not so much they are are defiant, but that they are just confident that no one would dare mess with them.

Skunks have a very cute stride. They walk kind of like a cat wearing baggy pants. Their tail bobs about this way and that which probably should act like a little waving warning flag to those who happen upon them. I've heard their personalities are very catlike. Some people have domesticated them for this reason. They are very independent and most often friendly as long as they are being fed on time.

Unlike what is often scene in cartoons, skunks don't carry their stink with them; although, I am sure they probably don't smell like flowers. Right under their iconic racing-striped tails, the skunks posses two anal scent glands that can fire off a rather nasty mixture of sulfur-containing chemicals such as thiols. The result of this is a smell that is so horrible and long lasting, it will entirely ruin the predatory ambitions of any animal attempting to kill the skunk. I have heard that a bath of tomato juice is the only way to relieve you of the smell, but this is just not true. It simply masks the scent temporarily.

The skunk is no stranger to fiction. In general terms, skunks were often shown in cartoons as cute but temperamental creatures who--although small--were to be feared for their terrible ability. In an old Uncle Remus story, a skunk wanted to stay with a bear in his cave to get out of the cold, but the bear would not let him for lack of space. Undaunted, the skunk explained that he was perfectly capable of making space, and after entering, he easily accomplished the task by driving the bear out. This is how the more generic skunks were commonly portrayed; however, the more mainstream skunks had an interesting variety as far as their personal temperaments.

In the Disney film "Bambi," the skunk known as Flower was anything but irritable. He was actually very shy and sweet. I dare anyone to watch this skunk in action and have anything but love for the little cutie! In the newspaper comic "Pogo," there was a very pretty french skunk known as Miz Ma'm'selle Hepzibah. I REALLY liked her as a feminine character. I never understood why she always courted with Porky Pine--being that he was such a grumpy person. Maybe, she wanted to bring out the best in him.

One show that I really enjoyed watching was called Skunk Fu. The main character, who was just called Skunk, was very eager and self-obsessed while being trained in the martial arts. His ego was often the cause of much of trouble in each episode, and he was usually tasked with cleaning up the very mess he made. I really like this character. The show had a great run, but it doesn't seem like anybody really talks about it anymore.

And now, I must tell you about a certain skunk that I have always been scent-a-mental about. Pepe le Pew! By far, this is my favorite cartoon character of all time. I also own every episode on DVD. I love this guy! He's a french skunk who continually falls in love with a poor cat after having a white paint mishap. Pepe is cute, passionate, and he has no idea what the word "no" means. When he falls in love, it's do or die! If it wasn't for that terrible smell coming from his rear, I don't think any girl could resist his charm.

In the show "Tiny Toons," there was a feminine version of Pepe Le Pew. She was a purple skunk by the name Fifi La Fume. Fifi was a girl who lived in a toxic waste dump; although, I don't think she really noticed how bad the smell was given she had her own problems in that area. She had some self-worth issues and was always looking for someone to be her boyfriend. Interestingly, she ended up with Hampton the pig who was a clean freak. I have always wondered abut this pairing but have not yet decided on its appropriateness.

Wow, look at all those famous skunks! I barely have time left for my own ideas! I personally already have a skunk in my published fiction. In my "Adventures in Cottontail Pines" books, I created a very grumpy skunk named Blacky. He was the local pessimist and always tended to make a big stink about everything. Get it?! I enjoy his character because he allows me to express a more selfish side which we sometimes see in children. That said, there is no doubt that he is still a good person at heart.

I love skunks. I have ALWAYS loved skunks. No matter how they are written into fiction, they are still amusing to us all. And besides, how awesome are those racing stripes on their tails?! Because they have made a name for themselves with their infamous tail spray, we will likely never be rid of them in popular fiction. And I am just fine with that!

Thank you for reading this blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Oo la la!








2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how these creatures can discourage the largest of predators by assaulting their olfactory senses. I like the way their tails bob back and forth as a warning. Don't get too close, or you will regret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to forget a creature that defends itself this way. They have achieved infamy status!

      Delete