Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Canine Spotlight: Egyptian Jackal/Egyptian Wolf

Traditionally, this particular animal had been known as the Egyptian jackal, but recent studies have shown them to be related closer to wolves. That is the reason I have two different names up in the title. In truth, this is a spotlight for only one animal. Now, I don't have a lot of research on this creature, but the fiction based off of it is really where this blog is going to shine.

Let's start with the facts. The Egyptian jackal is 64 inches from head to tail tip with a shoulder height of 20 inches. Their coat is thin and can be colored with gray, beige, or dirty yellow. It's considerably larger and longer-limbed than most jackals. They can be found in northern, eastern, and western Africa.

These animals are nocturnal and are omnivorous. They are not picky eaters and will pretty much eat anything they can fit into their mouths, and they will also go after larger prey such as young goats. The Egyptian jackal makes about as much noise as a domestic dog. They bark to get attention and growl when they are irritated. They form packs and often live in pairs.

Breeding occurs in the spring with a gestation period of 2 months. The litter usually has up to 5 pups but can also be as many as 8. This animal is also listed as CR (Critically Endangered) by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. That is two slots away from being entirely extinct. In truth, it is believed that there may be only forty left in the wild.

That's all I have.

Now, for fiction, we simply need to look to the Egyptian god known as Anubis. This refers to the jackal-headed god who was in charge of the dead. He was responsible for a number of tasks such as embalming for mummification. Interestingly, he would also weigh ones heart to decide if the deceased was worthy to travel into the land of the dead. He would also protect the graves and tombs of those interred.

Although, I'm only just finding this out, I have an Egyptian jackal in one of my stories; however, in this case I call him a wolf--which is still correct. I have always had a very odd view of mythology like this and implemented it into a story about this wolf. In my unfinished story "A Wolf in my Bedroom," I attempted to present an ancient and evil creature who essentially was the basis of the original "Little Red Riding-Hood mythos. I also think there is a very good chance that the original Big Bad Wolf may have been Anubis. My version of Anubis is a terrible creature who sees humans as intelligent food. He will only let them live to use them in whatever way he pleases only to dispose of them in the manner that he desires most--the devouring of their flesh. Yes, this is my interpretation, but I am quite inspired by it. I hope you find it interesting!

I am quite sad that the Egyptian jackal are almost gone from this world. They have an impressive history and lore behind them. The fact that they are wolves was probably the coolest thing to me because it gave special credence to my Big Bad Wolf theory. Imagination is a wonderful thing and often inspired by research such as this.

Thank you for reading my blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Thanks!






6 comments:

  1. Noisy creatures with a voracious appetite, what a combination. It is interesting that they are known as both jackals and wolves. They must be pretty daring to go after larger prey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, especially since their look is deceiving. Even as natural creatures they imply the unnatural Anubis. Sad indeed that these lithe creatures may not be long for the world. Your story WOLF IN MY BEDROOM is all the scarier for its Egyptian implications. Wonderful choices of image, especially the modern illustration of Anubis: CREEPY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the creepiest creatures found in lore, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. I was interested to find out the Egyptian Jackal was actually a Wolf, Anubis as the original Big Bad Wolf is a logical conclusion. Shadow in your story "A Wolf in my Bedroom" definitely brings life to the myth in a most profound way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about it. Do you REALLY want that thing having power of your soul? There was a day in our history that human beings allowed Anubis to do just that.

      Delete