Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Feliformia Spotlight: Striped Hyena

I was curious if my friend wanted me to do a spotlight for another type of hyena. He thought about it and suggested the striped hyena. It seems there are quite a few fur designs among the vast array of hyena-kind, and they are all pretty unique in their behaviors too. I like them! Let's have a look at the striped hyena.

Size-wise: the striped hyena can have a body length as long as 51 inches with a tail of 15 inches. They can have a shoulder height as high as 31 inches. The iconic stripes are mainly found on their legs and around the neck but can often go up their sides as well. There is also a notable black spot in the middle of its throat. They have a large pouch of naked skin near their anus which we will discuss a little later. They are native to North and East Africa, the Middle East, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.

Unlike the other hyenas I have spotlighted, the striped hyena usually are not found in large groups. A single or couple of them will form a den by either burrowing or taking over a vacant rock cavern. Here, they will mate monogamously and raise their offspring in this single location. 

The striped hyenas are omnivores. They mainly scavenge the corpses of formerly killed prey, and they enjoy the flesh of almost any animal they find. The exception is the vulture. For some reason, they will not touch a dead vulture unless desperate. When they find food, they will engorge themselves until entire satisfied. If they have pups back at the den, they will save some and drag it back.

The striped hyena can also be easily domesticated. They were used to assist in hunting by the ancient Egyptians, and even to this day, they can be as reliable as any dog. The only problem is that they tend to smell really bad. There is a reason for this.

About those anal pouches: As might be expected, it doesn't smell very good. It produces a sort of paste that is mainly used for marking territory in place of urination. The paste is most commonly referred to as "hyena butter." And I am going to let this be my segue into the fiction portion of this spotlight.

As it turns out, much of the fiction for the striped hyena is tied up in folklore. It was believed that African witches would ride upon the striped hyenas and use its hyena butter to light their torches. The ancient Greeks and Romans had a use for just about every part of the hyena body that--when burned to ashes--would ward off evil or ensure good fertility. In India, to drink a striped hyena's blood or to eat their tongue was a source of medicine used to fight tumors. There are more stuff like this, and I must say I feel sorry for the creature. Much of the folklore seems to involve the disassembly of the striped hyena. Most of the dismemberment seems to focus on the genitals and the anal pouch which seem to have significant fertility and love enhancements, but in my opinion, this is all hogwash. I'd rather they be left alone.

These hyenas seem a bit more docile to me than the military force that was the spotted hyena. They are a tight family unit and stay together for a long time. The fact that they are easily domesticated suggests a natural friendliness. All these come together to make me see them as a hard working family type that operates comfortably outside of society--living by their wits. They can be fierce if they need to be, but they are really just trying to live peaceably as much as possible. As people, that is how I would portray them.

Well, who knows what is next to come?! Maybe, my friend has other ideas for me. Come back next week and find out!

Thank you for reading my blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Thanks!




5 comments:

  1. I find it odd that a scavenger can be easily domesticated. But who would want something that smells like that for a pet? It is best to leave them in the wild where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the smell would get to me too.

      Delete
    2. I asked your wife the same question the other day, Don.

      Delete
  2. It's sad superstition provokes ignorant men to such things as disassembling a loyal and reliable creature. I totally see them as the hard working family type, loyal to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What works with family can also work with friendship.

      Delete