Thursday, April 26, 2018

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Interview with a Demon (Preliminary)

T.K. Wade: Thank you very much for doing this for me. I appreciate it.

Demon: My pleasure.

TK: What do you prefer me to call you during this interview?

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: I understand. ***REDACTED***

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: Yes. And you should know this is just a preliminary meeting. I'm going to do a more detailed interview later on.

D: For you blog.

TK: Fairy Tale Spotlight.

D: [He chuckles.] Interesting name.

TK: Thank you. Can you tell me why you find it so interesting?

D: It really depends on your definition of a fairy tale, I suppose. Are they not works of fiction?

TK: I am assuming that a vast number of them are actually true.

D: Like me?

TK: Perhaps. I do think that, more often then not, people who claim to believe in demons would not recognize one if it was right in front of them.

D: And I am a demon, because why?

TK: You told me you were.

D: And you believed me?

TK: Yes.

D: And what if I was lying to you?

TK: Then I made a mistake. I am taking the risk that I am making a mistake.

D: Why take the risk?

TK: What do you have against risk?

D: [He smiles quietly for about 10 seconds.] I am uninterested in anything that is imprecise.

TK: Yet you found the name of my blog interesting.

D: Of course. Your theme is fascinating. Did you have a point?

TK: Actually, now that I think on it, maybe I didn't. Not sure what happened there.

D: It's all right. [He chuckles.] So about those preliminary questions.

TK: Yes, fine. How do you ascertain value?

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: Yes.

D: Value is the quality of that which is useful.

TK: And what is capable of having value?

D: All things and everything.

TK: Do I have value?

D: Of course.

TK: Do you have value?

D: Of course.

TK: ***REDACTED***

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: ***REDACTED***

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: I'm not going to be able to include some of this conversation.

D: I understand. Continue.

TK: Can there be value in a collective.

D: That is the whole idea.

TK: What do you mean?

D: A collective is the very foundation of the universe. Everything works as a collective and so everything functions as it should. When the collective breaks, it causes chaos. Even you need to admit that when people work together towards a common goal, they tend to succeed more often. When a house is divided against itself, it should ultimately fall.

TK: So you aren't real big on individualism, are you?

D: An individual is a natural part of a collective.

TK: But in becoming part of a collective, does not their individualism cease?

D: Humans all have special skills which add to the whole. A carpenter would not make a good blacksmith, but the carpenter needs the blacksmith for his nails. Together, they make a pretty good team. Now add an architect, a painter, and perhaps an interior designer to the mix. Pretty soon, you'll have a house. Each man is an individual, but the house would not have happened without the collective.

TK: What about a man who can do great things all by himself.

D: That is only an illusion. No man was great of his own accord. Environmental circumstances caused by those around him provoked him to achieve such heights-much like a bullied child learns how to stand up for himself simply because he was bullied. The world runs on cogs that sometimes do not spin the way they are supposed to. It causes aberrations like this great man you refer to.

TK: I disagree. May I explain why?

D: Of course.

TK: What you call an aberration, I call exceptional. I think every man has a purpose in life, but some men tend to rise above the rest purely by their own personal gumption.

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: ***REDACTED***

D: ***REDACTED***

TK: Can we agree to disagree, at least?

D: We'll save it for the proper interview. I have to admit that I did find the whole thing fascinating. I would warn you though that most people are going to think that you are merely making all this up. You are a writer, after all.

TK: Yes.

D: And what will you do if they accuse you of faking it?

TK: I'll say I wrote it.

D: And if they accuse you of dabbling in dark subjects?

TK: I'll just say I wrote it. It's fine. We'll pick this up at a later time. I think I have what I need. Thank you for coming, ***REDACTED***.

D: My pleasure.

[Thank you for reading my blog. Did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? Either way, you can leave a comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Thank you!]

6 comments:

  1. Wow! It played out naturally. It was clean of dramatic flair. The demons arguments made perfectly logical sense... which implied he was indeed a demon. He never trips up. Humans are the creatures prone to err.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. He didn't trip up. I did. It was an accident. I was surprised at his forgiving he was. I think he was really fascinated about what I was doing.

      Delete
  2. It is easier to control people when they are all lumped together. What they say and do can be lost in the crowd. But the exceptional will always rise above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite an insightful interview. The natural order of the collective is indeed what the demon seeks to maintain, a individual who does not operate to fill a niche within the machine is seen as a broken cog. The demon sees anyone rising above as a glitch in the programming. I look forward to more, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was insightful. There will be more to come.

      Delete