Thursday, April 12, 2018

Fairy Tale Spotlight: It's Just a Story

I had someone tell me today that the Legend of Saint Christopher from this week's earlier blog was not true because "they" found out that it was "just a story." By "they," the person was referring to the Catholic Church. In all their wisdom, these people apparently found evidence that the things that happened within the tale were actually fiction. "Just a story" was intended to mean that it was just some fictional tale that someone made up, and as good as it is, it is ultimately false.

Saying that something is "just a story" is a very vague statement which is supposed to be believed the moment you hear it. You are not supposed to go any further than that. The rules state that if "they" say something is so then it must be so because "they" said it. Upon trying to counter this person on the evidence that I had uncovered as to the validity to Saint Christopher's story, I was told to stop going against that person's religion--something I was not doing in the slightest. Apparently I was breaking some rule by not simply being a good sheep and agreeing with her. Upon telling me what I was supposed to believe, it had, in that very moment, achieved dogma status, and my natural inclination to seek out the truth was stunted.

Have no fear. I am not so easily dissuaded. I am stubborn as the day is long. However, I did not pursue a conversation with this person any longer. The fact remains that I may have actually been in error about Saint Christopher and I am always willing to debate it. I have my evidence, and they have theirs. But in the case of my little encounter, I was shut down. The discussion was closed and any attempt on my part to make a counter argument was essentially mocking that person's religion. The rules of the debates were against me from the get-go.

Imagine if you were a part of a televised debate. You had your notes ready and were well-prepared to defend your position for better or worse. The moderator, as is his job, starts up by giving out the rules of the debate. He begins by saying, "Each will have five minutes. The other may say anything he likes baring anything that the former debater disagrees with."

"But isn't the point of a debate to show two opposing sides?" I ask.

"Yes, but not if it means offending the religion or beliefs of your opponent. Have you no decency, sir? If you are going to be a problem, we can call this thing off right here and now."

At this point, I suppose I have to just toss my notes behind me and just stand there for two hours. When did pomp and circumstance ever become a part of a proper debate? Why is offending someone a stopping point? Is it not the very nature of a debate to bring up a point of view that will displease the opponent?

It reminds me of the time I was playing 9 ball with a friend via an online video game. That is basically the British variation of our US 8 ball in the game of pool. I got myself into a jam. I couldn't pot the ball I needed without jumping the cue-ball over another one. It was going to take a lot of exceptional skill to make the shot work. I did managed to do it, and I potted the ball in with plenty of flare. There was only problem. British pool does not like the ball to go airborne at any time. The game punished me two turns for doing that. I felt like a bunch of pompous Brits were looking down on me for creating such a barbaric display in front of everyone. Egad! Needless to say, it was US 8 ball from that point on.

The point of my little pool adventure was that a person should have the freedom to show what he can do in any situation. A debate is much like a war. War really has no rules. There may be some written in a book somewhere, but the truth is that if you entirely wipe out a country, the rules don't mean anything after all. If you are going to tell me that the story of Saint Christopher is "just a story," I would very much like a chance to explain myself. I did not just pull the story out of my ass!

Also... I am not the type to simply believe something just because I heard it. I take my time and try and figure these things out through both evidence and an exceptional common sense. If someone is so bold as to say something is just a story, I want names, dates, and reasons. I am not a sheep who just believes what I am told by faceless people. I am an individual who is actually trying to figure this stuff out. I do so without any pomposity or adherence to dogma at all. I am an individual trying to figure out the universe by my own abilities. I may be right and I may be wrong. But if you dare tell me I am wrong, you better come with an armful of documents to prove it. If not, then you have no reason to even be making the claim. Away with you!

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you like it? Did you hate it? Either way, you can leave a comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Some believe whatever "they" tell them, it really is insane. I witnessed the person just shutting down all hope of a debate on the subject and was dumbfounded. "Just a story" is a poor excuse from a lackadaisical individual to just give up on seeking any truth. I hold your story of St Christopher in my heart not just because you told it, but because it rings true. For something to ring true you must open your mind and explore all possibilities. If you are honest and sincere you will know truth from fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, just for the record, Chris was with me when that incident happened. The thing that really got my goat about it was that the person causes trouble and then won't let me make my own case. People think they can have their say while shutting up the other side. They were in the wrong.

      Delete
  2. Yeah "they" are the "experts" because "they" say so. "They" are another form of "anonymous sources" it seems. Crop circles, for example: "They" said two old men did it. The old men pictured were old... but not old enough to explain FAIRY CIRCLES... which we now call CROP CIRCLES. "They" said the Shroud of Turin is fake. "They" faked their own test deliberately. "They" tried to burn the Shroud eight years later... and nearly succeeded. "They" do exist... but "they" are not the human entities the sheep believe them to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. "They" do not exist. Getting pretty tired of hearing it. And why should I listen to "them" anyways? I'm an individual with a mind of my own. Let me draw my own conclusions and cast my own vote on any matter. I refuse to be a sheep.

      Delete
  3. We live in a day and age where people are easily offended. So, debate gives way to argument. It is better to leave people in their ignorance, than to attempt to convince them of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine and dandy, Don, but some of these people out rightly attack you in person. Given enough power, they will shut you down permanently. This a war worth fighting.

      Delete