Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Psalms [Book Review]

"Psalms" is the nineteenth book of the "Holy Bible," and it was written by [deep breath] David, Adam, Melchizedek, Abraham, Moses, Heman, Jeuthun, Asaph, and the three sons of Korah. Although this list of names is very impressive, there are many who believe that they were all written by David. What do I think? Not a clue, sorry. I was only here for the book.

"Psalms" is a book consisting of prayers and poetry. It is exactly 150 of them, and they are all written fairly well. I was surprised at how easy they were to read when I think of some of the obscure language that I had to deal with in previous books. Even so, the entirety of "Psalms" was a 4 hour read, so it still took me a long time with my regular reading schedule.

I did notice that this book seems to have inspired the general way many people pray out loud in public. They seem to use a similar wording and order presented in this book. I guess that's fine. I don't think the book was trying to create a standard for prayer, but it did serve as an inspiration on how one might choose to pray. It doesn't bother me.

As far as plot... there isn't any, and this makes it a little difficult to review. There wasn't really any one prayer that got my attention. I actually really liked them all. It was a good read, but because of what it is, it just doesn't favor reviewing, unless I pick one or two put to mention specifically... and I won't be doing that.

I do, however, recommend reading it for yourself. It is good to finally hear some people in the Bible finally saying the right things, because I didn't get a whole lot of that up to this point. The Old Testament is a fairy frustrating read sadly. At least here you can hear the words of the humble few who actually bothered to see God for who he was and show some damned respect.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. PSALMS is a book of poetry, it seems, written to be sung but as poetry. It was meant to delight, if poetry, no matter its message. The poetry was so good, it shined even through translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it was meant to be sung. There seems to be some words in there that are only meant as musical direction.

      Delete
  2. I like that it's a collection of poetry and prayer because the writer's created something that was personal to them. Very few got the point, it's good to hear from those that did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Psalms are a group of religious hymns. However, the poetic quality shines through even without the music. The themes are varied, but the focus is upon calling out to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did shine through. I thought it was going to be way more boring than it actually was.

      Delete