Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Oz Gazette #17 [Review]

It's been a while since I reviewed one of these. Apparently I only receive two a year, so a lot of time goes by between them. "The Oz Gazette #17" is the Autumn 2023 edition of the possibly canon mini newspaper printed by the International Wizard of Oz Club. I get these because I am a member. I also get new issues of "The Baum Bugle," but I haven't been reading any of those because of time concerns. I am very much overwhelmed with tackling these Oz books as well as other ones as well.

You all probably don't remember the review of #16, but it was looking like the Gnome King was in the process of capturing the Emerald City... and apparently he did! In fact, he is presently their ruler. Ozma is apparently still trapped in our world and so is unable to stop this from happening.

The issue is very charmingly written. It is pitched as a Halloween edition or rather "Hallozween." The Gnome King is filling the Emerald City with a bunch of his creepy cronies. It's all written in a fun and amusing way.

Pages 2 and 3 is actually a bestiary written by the Wizard of Oz. He covers a handful of famous monsters from the Oz series. He goes into what they look like, where to find them, and how dangerous they can be. He also slipped in a little message that there is a plan to take the kingdom back, and that we should not worry too much.

All in all, I really liked this issue. Can't really recommend something so difficult to come by. If you are interested in getting these, you have to become a member of the International Wizard of Oz Club. Other than that, there's not much I can say to help you out. Either way, they make for very charming reads.

This blog was written on February 17, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. The Joker in Batman, the Emperor in Star Wars, Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes, etc, etc. Every great universe has an archvillain. As a true Oz fan you know that villain is not the Wicked Witch of the West, but rather the Nome King. Like all archvillains, we miss him if he is gone too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a character that has actually been forsaken for a while in the actual canon, but for a long time he was coming back every couple of books.

      Delete
  2. The Nome King is up to no good again I see... I do love how these are written like current news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a shame I only get two of these a year.

      Delete
  3. Having a newspaper really makes the world feel more real. It also gives the opportunity to expound on various aspects of the work. Once interest is gained, there can be a desire for such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would be interesting if this was considered canon.

      Delete