Monday, February 19, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Small Saga [Video Game Review]

"Small Saga" is an indie video game that was released in 2023. I got it as a Birthday/Christmas gift in the same year. It is an RPG about rodents living in the world of humans... or rather under it.

The game plays pretty good and has more of a boss battle focus. That is to say that you do have regular enemies from time to time, but they don't really amount to much. It's really about the bosses in this game. Bosses are like giant cats and other large animals. At one point you actually take on a human being, but it's usually not about killing them as much as its about trying to get them to buzz off. Oh, and there is no EXP. Level ups happen as a scripted event. So fighting all the little enemies don't seem to matter anyhow.

In this world, humans are considered the gods of the world. The things they make are called god items. So if a mouse finds like a Swiss army knife, that is a god weapon. I liked this whole setup a lot. Basically the rodents are living primitive lives underneath modern humans.

The closest game I can think that this comes to is Super Mario RPG, the original one. But you can't jump. There is no platforming in this game at all. It just looks similar.

The story is actually really good... until it isn't. I was seriously invested in this whole thing. It centers around a mouse who lost his brother to someone called the Yellow God who was clearly a rat exterminator. So it becomes a revenge story as a mouse goes out to kill an actual human. I liked everything about this, but the damn story just got so political by the end of it that I just couldn't enjoy myself.

You see, this is the problem with the game... it's basically a communism utopia simulator... at least... by the end of it. It isn't only about trying to kill a god. It's about removing all leaders from power and then just sort of living a happy, colorful, candy-coated life with your friends and family forever.

I can't say this enough: I HATE POLITICAL MESSAGES IN GAMES! Stop trying to convince me of stuff! To be fair, they do an okay job showing both sides of the argument. There is this really long debate with one of the squirrel Nazis. Yeah, you heard me. Squirrel Nazi. I'll say it again: SQUIRREL NAZI. This game has squirrel Nazis, specifically the grey squirrels. The red ones are all gay or something and have to be imprisoned and executed. I dunno. I just wanted to go on a revenge quest and not deal with politics. But like I said, they did have a very good debate with one of the grey squirrels, and I would be an idiot not to mention that it happened.

I'm not going to recommend the game, but I did have some fun with it. I love the design of it, and the music, and just about every single aspect of it other than the fact that it really, seriously pushes communistic utopian ideals on you. I'm disappointed and sad. I really wanted to love this game.

This blog was written on February 10, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand your "I loved it... but fell out of love with it" because of the social commentary. I am one of the few people who loved SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING... until I realized you have to support euthanasia to have the "good" ending. Rather than indoctrinate me, all they did was kill my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want genuine fiction and fantasy, not a political ideal done in allegory.

      Delete
  2. That's a shame about the politics getting in the way. The trailer to the game looked cool with the retro style graphics and epic battles. Without an endearing story though it's gonna be forgotten pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good until they started pushing stuff on me. Then it became all about the message.

      Delete
  3. Propaganda sucks the life out of art. When the agenda is obvious, it tends to diminish the enjoyment. One spends their time struggling to ignore what annoys them.

    ReplyDelete