Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rodent Spotlight: Degu

Hi. My name is Brickley, and I am a female rodent called a degu. At first, I was really nervous when I was asked to talk about my people, but when I found out that degu's are actually almost entirely unknown by popular media... well, I just had to do something about it. It's not an ego thing, you can be sure, but I just feel that we are an interesting people, and you may learn from us--at least, that's what I am hoping will happen.

You know, whether the world is aware of us or not, we still have a life to live. We all have to work together so we have shelter. There are a lot of bad things in the world, and we can't take risks. Degu's are very social animals, and I think that's what makes our community work. I can't even imagine being away from my friends and family for very long. I hear some other rodents like to break off from their parents, but I love my mom and dad far too much to do something so silly.

We live underground in burrows, and we all take our fair share of work in digging it out. That's right: no one is allowed to be lazy. Even our leader--his name is Chuckers--I remember he worked right by my side, and he was really sweet about it too. I never saw him complain even once. "You're doing a fine job, Brickley," he always told me. What a nice degu!

Everyone keeps a look out at night. We do it in shifts. Even I had to do it once or twice, but they usually let the females relax. We tend to stay pregnant quite often--sometimes up to ninety days! I heard other rodents give birth a lot sooner than that, but that's just something we have to deal with like anything else. Our boys do a terrific job up top. We even devised a number of secret signals--fifteen in all--that lets everyone know exactly what's going on. I don't remember them all. I think "choo choo" meant snake and "rah rah" meant coyote. Might have mixed them up though.

Winter is probably the worst part for us. I don't like the cold. Many degus will snuggle up together in big piles so we can help each other keep warm. That's what a close-nit community is all about--helping each other especially in the toughest of times. I know this may not be a surprise to you, but I have had a lot of children while in the community burrow. Admittedly, taking care of so many little ones is an extremely taxing proposition. Thank goodness all the other mothers are willing to help me out. We all pool our resources for the good of everyone. I really do love them all.

A degu colony is really a special thing. We all share so much, and I guess that's why we all seem to love each other. We really are a family, and I would not turn away from it for the world. I heard many other kinds of rodents have a lot of trouble in the vast lands above, and I can't help but wonder if it's because they don't have family and friends to turn to when things get rough. Well, whatever the case, I hope this blog is helpful. When T.K. Wade offered me the chance to do it, I sure was nervous, but I think I did okay after all. I hope you think so too!

Also, if you liked this blog I did for T.K. Wade, you can comment below, or you can email him at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Once more, thank you very much for the opportunity. So long!




2 comments:

  1. What a tight-knit community! I found interesting how they all pile up together to stay warm. And they are not lazy: everyone has a job to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! A comment! I feel a little famous now. Teehee! Well, either way, it's back to the burrows for me. :)

      Delete