Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The OZ Symbol

My first exposure to the Oz franchise was the 1939 movie. My second exposure to it was "Return to Oz" in 1985. This was the first movie where I saw the iconic OZ symbol there the Z is seated in the middle of the O. I remember really liking this design. They even positioned it on the circlet that Ozma wore at the end of the movie.

I did not know it at the time, but the OZ symbol has been in the Oz illustrations since almost the beginning. I cannot say exactly when I began seeing it, but it was certainly there in many of those old books. Some of the book titles which traditionally ended with the word Oz, sometimes used the OZ symbol in place of the lone word.

In many of the illustrations, the symbol was used in various places. I always enjoyed looking for them. It was like a little easter egg that I could hunt for as I read the books.

Even though the OZ symbol was visible all over the place in the illustrations, it was never described in the text. I don't think it was ever described until right up near the end of the series and then only once. At the very least, the symbol was finally canonized in text to give relevance to all of those pictures.

Personally, I think the OZ symbol is one of the best and perfect designs of all time. The way the Z crosses over and sometimes through the O is very pleasing to look at. It can be done a number of different ways too. As long as the Z is linked with the O, the symbol exists as it should.

What do you think of the OZ symbol? Was it something you found pleasing to the eye? Also, where did you first see it? Let me know!

This blog was written on February 28, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It is a catchy symbol. It is memorable. I don't remember when I first saw it, but I always recognized it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been floating out there for over 100 years.

      Delete
  2. "Return to Oz" was the first time I noticed the symbol, I also remember seeing it at my School Library. Though I didn't read the books I did think the symbol was cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Return to Oz" may have been a first for many people since the original movie didn't seem to have it anywhere.

      Delete
  3. The two letters are together in much the same way as the countries of Oz. Yet, they are also separate and distinct like each country. Parts overlap, showing that each one is not so very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only described once in the text, but it has been visible to people for ages.

      Delete