Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Ani-Droids [Book Review]

Many years ago, I read a short story called "Argo" by an author named Rick Griffin. This was actually before I was doing book reviews but still while I had my blog. This short story as well as the movie "A.I." inspired me to write and publish my book "The Fascinating Life of Animal Robots." I was extremely inspired. The short story was so good that I have followed this author ever since.

Rick Griffin is actually a multi-talented individual. He writes, he draws, and he has done full comic books. All of his works are independently published, and he is doing very well for himself, even more than me. I am also an independently published author. With maybe one exception, I consider his writing to be some of the best out there, which is really a huge compliment coming from me since I almost never read anything contemporary.

I do recommend you look into his books. He illustrates them himself, and his art is some of the best out there. Most of it is furry stuff, but it's all taken very seriously. He is obviously putting all of his love into the stories he makes. And when he taps into the science fiction genre, that is where he really shines.

"Ani-Droids" is a novel written by Rick Griffin. It was published in 2023, and it appears to be set in the same universe as his short story "Argo."

In this world, humans have anthropomorphic animals as robotic companions that help them with day-to-day tasks. The story revolves around Mira who works on them for a living, but her main concern is trying to circumvent something called the Behavior Code which puts all the ani-droids on a network, making them less individualistic and more of a hivemind. Mira had made friends with her otter ani-droid named Lily and wants dearly for her to be a close friend and not just some internet connected robot.

The search for this path around the Behavior Code is the main driving point of the book, and it leads to some very dark issues. As cute as the world looks in the beginning, the story gets very dark, but it is also extremely satisfying to read with a conclusion that gives you exactly what you want in a good book.

And I won't spoil anymore.

The thing is, this author is currently at the peak of his career, and I would rather people just buy his books and read them. He deserves support. He's earned it. This book is some of the best thought out science fiction writing I have ever read. It was such a satisfying read that I would happily dive into a sequel is he wanted to work on one. It's really that good.

I whole-heartedly recommend "Ani-Droids" to anyone who likes science fiction. It is filled with intrigue, action, and a whole lot of love. Also, you might also check out his other works of literature as well while your at it. Enjoy!

This blog was written on March 20, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Cute can be deep if taken seriously. This author takes ideas usually squandered on patronizing nonsense to tell a dark story for adults, though children would probably enjoy it too. I am glad Rick Griffin is thriving for his efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might me okay for children, but it also might be a bit too deep. I feel like a lot of this would have confused me as a kid. Also the violence can be a bit shocking from time to time.

      Delete
  2. It's awesome that Griffin's work was an inspiration for your "The Fascinating Life of Animal Robots". Ani-droids sounds like a great story full of Griffin's love, which does indeed make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people yearn for friends who are not human. This tends to come from a desire to have more control over the relationship. However, if these things became people it would likely turn out the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and this sort of thing may actually happen someday.

      Delete