Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Oz Short Stories

Last one of these, I promise. This blog is to list the Oz short stories that were not featured in numbered books. There's only three of them. Most of the canon short stories were featured in Book 47 "Little Wizard Stories of Oz" and Book 71 "The Collected Short Stories of L. Frank Baum." These were not included in any collection, so they get their own list.

- "A Murder in Oz" by Jack Snow (1958)

This story is not included in the curated list by Joe Bongiorno, however I personally consider it canon because of who wrote it. This was a short story set in Oz written by one of the mainline authors. It's also extremely good and worth the read. Anyone who does not consider this story canon is not taking Oz as seriously as I have. (No offense to Mister Bongiorno, of course, who probably did his best.)

- "Percy and the Sleeping Violet" by Rachel Cosgrove Payes (1995)

I just wanna state one last time how much I love Percy. I am so sad that I will never see him again.

- "Spots in Oz" by Rachel Cosgrove Payes (1997)

That's it! All books and short stories confirmed read. No more Oz for me!

This blog was written on March 21, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. EVERY canon story plus one, which you personally canonized. You have conquered Oz. Don't worry. They deserve it. In canon itself, Oz colonizes other lands. They had it coming... and you kept it coming. Well done. I am enjoying the results of the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never intended to go this far in the beginning. Oz was originally just a part of my journey to read everything that Baum wrote.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing the epic journey! A labor of love for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting what stories can be considered as canon. To find that there are only three outside of the numbered books is surprising. It must feel good to have read them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided that there was no good reason for "A Murder in Oz" to not be canon, and if you have been down the Oz road like I have, you'd probably decide the same thing.

      Delete