Monday, April 15, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Oz Gazette #18 [Review]

"The Oz Gazette #17" is the Winter 2023 edition of the possibly canon mini newspaper published by the International Wizard of Oz Club. Sadly, the one I got was in a bad crumpled-up state because my dad had to hold onto it for a while, but it was all there and readable.

As it turns out, the Nome King was finally dethroned by none other than the Cowardly Lion. Apparently the Nome King had gotten himself drunk on "sparkling mercury," and the Lion snuck in there and stole the king's pants and Magic Belt. Dorothy was then able to use the Magic Belt to wish Ozma back to Oz and then save the day.

The whole edition is specifically about the Cowardly Lion of Oz which is just what I would feel would happen if the Lion had been the hero of the day. All the local newspapers would be about him actually. It even does a lot of promoting for the actual book by Ruth Plumly Thompson called "The Cowardly Lion of Oz."

At the very end of the newspaper, The Woggle-Bug writes his own article about the Cowardly Lion. It was a pretty good read and is even annotated. The best part of it though was the author's by-line which was listed as: Professor H.M. Wobble-Bug, T.E., D. Phil, D. Litt, Th. D., MSc, MA, BSc., EdD, ODd, D. Oz, TWWoO, MLoO, EMerald City Chair-insect Emeritus, Etc.

It was so long that it actually wrapped around the side of the newspaper. I loved it!

Once again, this is hard to recommend since only Ozclub members get these things, but I sure as heck enjoyed myself. I also want to mention that there was a lot of encouragement for people to write their own Oz histories in this issue. That put a smile on my face.

This blog was written on April 4, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Remember: The Woggle-bug is magnified!

    It seems the Oz Gazette is a labor of love... and that's why you love it. You feel the warm energy of inspiration. I'm glad it is out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's short and doesn't come out very often, but it makes Oz lovers feel like the story is still out there and continuing somehow.

      Delete
  2. The Cowardly Lion saves the day! That will teach the Nome king not to drink so much haha. Pretty cool that they encourage people to write their own histories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me happy too. Glad to see that is still a thing.

      Delete
  3. I was actually able to decipher the Woggle-Bug's byline, for the most part. That is quite an educated bug. Details like these really enhance the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's impressive. I couldn't figure out hardly any of it!

      Delete