Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: A Tall Tale (A True Story)

As the title of this story suggests, it is a true story. It is also a story about me and it is very brief. So you won't be reading it for very long. In any case, you should do your best to take it very seriously, as you may be tempted not to.

When I was very, very young, and also very short, I had a toy that I was very fond of. It was a laser gun that went pew pew! It even lit up and stuff when you pulled the trigger. I had a lot of fun with this laser gun, but I guess my parents didn't like it very much.

One day, I must have been especially noisy, or bad, or something. Whatever was the cause, they took it away from me. I was very sad about this and cried as they took it away and through the house. I saw my dad put it on the highest shelf of the foyer closet. And I really do mean high. I was just a tiny thing. There was no way I was getting up there!

I jumped and stood on things, but seriously, I was freaking small. It wasn't happening. That gun was gone. And it didn't look like my parents were going to give it back to me. So I realized I needed a plan... a plan so sneaky, so brilliant, so unexpected that my parents or any other parents would be totally baffled by its complexity.

I decided... to get taller.

Of course, this was a very slow plan. I actually couldn't just shoot up. I had to work at it slowly. So at least for a time, I had to let my favorite toy go and focus on growing up. Years went by. I went to school. I went to church. I did all the things kids did as they slowly grew taller and taller. And, boy, was I growing taller. But it never seemed to be tall enough to get to that ungodly high shelf.

It took me ten years. TEN YEARS! But I knew when the day finally came. I had been painstakingly measuring myself on the wall of my bedroom. With a little help from a stool, I was sure I could get that toy back. So I waited for a day where I could be alone in the house. I grabbed a stool and placed it at the open closet in the foyer.

My plan was almost complete! TEN YEARS. It was time. It was finally time. I crawled up onto that wobbly stool. I reached up into that crowded top shelf. I had a good idea of where it was. I totally remembered where my dad put it.

It wasn't there.

I got down and moved the stool a little so I could check the other parts. I dug around like crazy. I really wanted it back!

It wasn't there.

I became frantic! I started pulling things off the shelf. It wasn't there! It wasn't there at all. My laser gun was gone! What happened?!

When my parents got back, I asked them what they did with my laser gun! Can you believe they had no idea what I was talking about?! I described it and everything! NOTHING! IT'S LIKE IT NEVER EXISTED!

To this very day, I wonder... just wonder... what the heck happened to that wonderful noisy toy of mine. I still see it in that one part of that one closet. I see my dad putting it there. I just... don't understand... how it disappeared like that,

Oh, and on a side note, I'm 6 foot 4 now.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Obviously, you were driving your parents crazy. Sadly, they didn't know how much the toy meant to you. I suffered a similarly when I want my mom to buy a comic book I happened upon. It had a scene in two panels that inspired my imagination more than any scene in fiction ever had. My mom told me to wait till I had money. By then the comic was replaced with the next issue. I was MISERABLE. I even had a dream that I had the comic... only to awaken and realize I did not. Fortunately, I EVENTUALLY found the issue I wanted. I hope you find your little toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, its long gone at this point! Although, I must say that this picture I used is throwing up some red flags.

      Delete
  2. Sad that the thing sparked your imagination so was taken away. I liked your plan to get it back haha. It's too often that when we "break the rules" someone is ready to try to take away our inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I still like sci-fi to this day though!

      Delete
  3. With that level of dedication, commitment is recommended. Still, it shows a great deal of planning and patience. Might I suggest purchasing a replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, by the time I went looking for it, I wasn't even sure what it looked like. This DID actually happen, as weird as it sounds.

      Delete