Monday, July 27, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Why Would Animals Talk in Fairy Tales?

So talking animals is a very common thing in fairy tales both ancient and modern. The bible has even done this more than once. It seems to be a thing that may have been very real. I've talked about it before, but it's been quite some time. I think it was before I did any of the Divine series which predates Hurricane Florence. That puts it a bit more in perspective for me, I guess.

But I have come a long way in my research since then. I've looked into the nature of energy and how it works. I've tried to calculate why things happen in Fairy Tales from a more realistic perspective. And I just found myself thinking about talking animals from that same outlook.

Talking animals are more prevalent in "fairylands." Fairylands are places inundated with magic so that the supernatural becomes common. Animals should, at this point, stand up on its hind legs (which most of them can do anyways), possibly adorn themselves with clothing (a waistcoat perhaps), and begin speaking words as articulately as any human.

I think, so some degree, I have a different viewpoint on what magic is. Magic is really just the natural energies of the world we deal with every day, but parts of it that we unfortunately don't understand quite as much. A wizard running his finger around a pot to make the water inside boil is really the same thing as putting the pot on a stove and turning on the electric filament. It's the same "magic" just utilizing the energy in different manners.

Magic is not supernatural. It's completely natural, but not commonly understood. These animals become what they are for a reason. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it makes no sense. But there is one aspect of the talking animal situation that doesn't quite fit into the earlier ideals for how it works. And to be fair to myself, I was merely talking about how these situations were viewed by the people who wrote these stories and thought of them at the time.

My big hold back is that I cannot see any animal acting like a person simply because of anything like magical or mystical energy inundation. They might act strangely, but I don't see them acting like a human without some sort of outside influence. I just don't see animals taking on rogue elements that are not natural to them without there being some outside force enacting context.

Some being outside of the scope of the fairyland would have to provide the context of the animal's new behaviors. Even small things such as civility, wearing clothing, and speaking words would need to be implanted by some sort of imagination or intent. For this reason, I don't think a fairyland could happen naturally and, furthermore, would require the actionable presence of a being existing in control, or, at the very least, acting upon said fairyland in a manner that would produce those unnatural animal behaviors.

And at this point, I should ask why any animal should be walking, talking, and wearing waistcoats at all. I'm not sure it really benefits anybody other than some sort of silly fascination. And from what I can tell, these animals are still quite feral. They are only including a slight semblance of what civility is. The fox will still kill the rabbit. The rat will still try to eat and breed. The raccoon will still obsessively wash his food (in a sink this time.) The difference in all these cases is they are all doing it in a much more proper, civil manner.

But none of these things could even be the slightest bit possible without some sort of outer force that claimed that such things had to happen in this way at all. Otherwise the animals would have to have an inborn understanding of the what, why, and how as pertaining to human culture... and they don't. They just don't. Paganism can only extend as far as an almighty intelligence can allow it to. Animals will only ever do what they were programmed to do... even in the context of a fairyland. It doesn't just happen. Everything happens for a reason. Nothing is random. If an animal talks, it's because someone said that they could.

The interesting thing is that a talking animal is probably possible even to this day. And keep in mind that I am not talking about the angelic hybrids that I have mentioned in older blogs. I am talking about your pet cat. Your horse. Your local skulking fox. They all have the ability to talk and speak their mind, but there's no force acting upon them to make them do so. Nobody has told them of civility, standing, talking, and wearing clothes. And even if they did know those things, would they really understand it? Probably not. Nevertheless, we would see it and smile, and I think that was the point it happened at all. I suppose the one who made it happen was smiling too.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting how humans have a tendency to humanize everything. The movie CARS humanized VEHICLES of all things! Storms are given human names. Of course humans imagine animals wearing clothes and talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, I think God is the source of the anthropomorphization, however if a human was casting the spell, it might be possible it came from them on that level. Magic tends to be context based anyways.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating stuff, indeed magic is the manipulation and transfer of energies. Talking animals would probably would be possible with the proper person's influence. Context would indeed be important as the animals would otherwise default to their base instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the energy out there, it is easy to see magic as something natural. There is much that we still do not understand, even with all our technology. Since we can do so much already, it is likely there is more to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is plenty to discover if people actually bother to look and stop being offended by this and that.

      Delete