Monday, January 23, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Hop-Frog [Short Story Review]

[This blog spoils the main plot of the story but leaves much of the details out.]

"Hop-Frog" is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe, and it was published in 1849. It is flatly a revenge story, but it isn't a depressing one, as those tend to be.

The story revolves around a dwarven (short) court jester who is mistreated by a tyrannical king, a king who likes playing practical jokes. At first, it almost sounds like a children's story, but it gets dark pretty quickly. As far as I can tell, no other Poe story starts off in such a silly and relaxed way. I liked it.

As I said, the tale is a revenge story, but the revenge is taken up by a very clever jester, and that is what makes it special. He doesn't just kill the king; he kills the king in style. He kills the king in both a hilarious and frightening manner, and I won't spoil how. In fact, I've already spoiled a bit much, and I think the picture I chose may spoil it a bit more.

Either way, the story is short, and you should read it. I recommend "Hop-Frog" mainly because it is extremely entertaining for a Poe story. Really, I think this places a good second for me of all the stories I have read of his, and I don't really care for much of his works. Good stuff!

This blog was written on December 25, 2022. Merry Christmas!

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. This was a very powerful story. It was dark and cold. The indifference of the king and his councilors, the distress of the girl and the hatred of Hop-Frog could be felt by the reader. It was murder as something entirely personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was grim-dark, but it was also a good satisfying ending.

      Delete
  2. "Hop-Frog" is indeed a dark story, both the King's cruelty and Hop-Frog's clever vengeance explore darkness. It's a short story with a very powerful punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes to prove that dark doesn't always mean bad.

      Delete
  3. It is a simple tale of revenge that is darkly humorous. This story is a reminder not to assume anyone is truly helpless. The consequences can be dire indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredibly grim, but they entirely had it coming.

      Delete