Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Loyal Henchman

Just so I am not misunderstood, I am talking here about a singular henchman. It's a bit like how Igor is generally portrayed. The whole idea of it is one guy who serves some sort of mastermind. I like this idea, and I'd be lying if I denied obsessing over it constantly.

For me the idea of the loyal henchman is a very personal thing that takes very few forms. Although those forms may sometimes seem comical, I am actually taking them seriously. The idea that someone can dedicate all their efforts to a man greater than them is as frightening as it is fascinating. It takes a particular drive to do that. It's a bit more than just mere hero worship, and sometimes it can lead to an eventual betrayal attempt.

To get that close to power, one often decides that they want or even deserve the power that they serve. In many cases, they can even think that they are just using the mastermind for their own purposes. That was certainly the case with Ygor in "Son of Frankenstein." In many ways, he probably felt like he was the mastermind himself. That can happen with henchmen, and it's completely natural.

The best henchmen live life by their egos. They are completely selfish but see their master as a way to make their dreams come true. Torgo from "Manos: Hands of Fate" is a good example of this. It was very clear that Torgo was outmatched, but he still felt as if he could somehow take his master on, something that was clearly impossible. But Torgo might have been a problem for a master who was less aware. Henchmen can be very dangerous, even to their masters, if left unchecked.

I often think of Willie Loomis from the "Dark Shadow" soap opera. He was the sentinel of Barnabas Collins, a vampire. He was in charge of getting things done for Barnabas and would be punished severely if he failed. Willie is terrified of his master, but he still shows ambitions of his own throughout the show. Although he looked small and weak, he was actually a dangerous person. That's a quality in a henchman I rather enjoy.

The loyal henchman is a trope I never grow tired of. I often imagine myself as one of them, even to the point where I am trying to selfishly usurp my boss. I love how the utter submission contrasts with the hidden mischievous grin I make when master isn't looking. It's exciting, and I'll probably never grow tired of it.

This blog was written on January 8, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!



6 comments:

  1. The LOYAL HENCHMAN is the FAITHFUL SIDEKICK but as a villain instead of a hero. He represents the common man at his best... or worst. He is beyond the other common men because though he is seemingly as small and insignificant as they he, he is in the inner circle of greatness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love them. They do seem ordinary while in a great position.

      Delete
  2. The loyal henchman is a fun trope, they usually have extremely defining characteristics. Torgo is one of my favorite henchman, he even got his own theme song. Torgo clearly was thinking with his other staff when he tried to rebel against his master. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kinda was. But we cannot help but love him.

      Delete
  3. People forget that servants have their own motivations. Someone who is dedicated to another has reasons for doing so. The master must always prove stronger or the attempt to usurp them will be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah! I love it when the henchman tries to take control. That's one of the best parts!

      Delete