Monday, January 16, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Mother: The Original Story [Book Review]

There are moments in my life where I feel as if I have quantum slipped into another dimension where good things that I never expected to happen actually do happen... at least in one particular instance. In the case of today's blog, I am going to talk about one of those times. I was not looking for this book. I was not even wondering if the book existed. It was mainly because I never thought that it would exist. It's very existence is fantastical and nearly unbelievable, but it is real. It is extremely real, and it is my pleasure to present a review for it today.

"Mother: The Original Story" is a novel written by female author Saori Kumi. It was published in 1989. This book is the novelization of the Famicom video game called "Mother," which was later localized in the US under the name "Earthbound: Beginnings." Yes, this novel absolutely exists, and I read it.

The Mother universe is a very quirky thing in both its original Japanese and in its strange localizations. There is a friendly spirit behind what seems to be a very serious and even sometimes severe story. To capture the feel of a Mother game is very difficult. I know this because I tried to do it. How do you properly manage the serious and the funny so that they blend properly. Such things are like oil and water. They just don't mix well. There is something about the Mother formula that allows the two to combine in a flawless manner. This book captures that feel wonderfully.

The story of "Mother" revolves around a bat-wielding boy with psychic powers named Ken, a nerdy kid named Floyd, a psychic Christian girl named Ana, and a biker/rocker named Hurricane Joe. These four children come to the realization that the world is nearing it's end. Mothers from all around the globe are disappearing, and the only way they can win against this unknown power is by collecting eight parts of a melody. They don't know how this melody will solve the problem; they only know that it will.

Along the way, they run into some very strange things. They are forced to fight odd creatures and even some people who's minds are clouded by evil thoughts. They run into eccentric people who help them along the way. Everything feels a little off and surreal as if the entire planet turns into an international Twin Peaks. Nothing was uninteresting, and I was always looking forward to the next leg of the journey.

The male/female dynamic is extremely present in this book. Male and female roles are super traditional, and I really respect the author for writing it this way. Also Christianity was not only treated respectfully in the book; it was also hinted that God was directly involved with certain instances in the story. Jesus is also directly mentioned. The over-prudishness of the church is challenged in this story, and I am glad it did. It was done in an entirely appropriate way.

Those of you who have played, or attempted to play, "Earthbound: Beginnings" may have been put off by its poor game design. If the game is too much for you and you aren't having much fun, you may want to consider reading this book instead. I have beaten the game, and I just think this book is a better story and presented in a better way. It feels more like what the game would have been like if it had been made later on better consoles. It is truly the ultimate way to experience the first part of this wonderful video game series.

I'm not joking when I say that this is one of my most favorite books I have ever read. "Mother: The Original Story" gets one of the highest recommendations I can possibly afford. It was such a long book, yet I read it so quickly. I just could not put it down. It took over my mind, and I just had to keep going. At times, I sat somewhere alone and just read it for hours. It was so worth it, and I think you should too.

And yet... there is more to come. The book has a sequel... and I'm about to begin the next journey.

This blog was written on December 29, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! A long novel as the story of a silly children's game? It is as if the silliness was not so silly after all. Interesting that cute and sweet can have depth. They can be the redeeming qualities of a universe otherwise hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! A great Mother story without the grinding! Yea you were right I wanna read this one! The fact there is a sequel makes my anticipation even greater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling you'd wanna read it! And you don't need to play the game first. Let's be honest: that game is not very well made.

      Delete
  3. Comedy relieves the tension that could otherwise bring down the mood. If a story becomes too serious, then it can be depressing. The best works balance the light and the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps, but in tis case its interwoven perfectly into the grain of the story itself.

      Delete