Monday, November 8, 2021

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Mission Impossible [Book Review]

"Mission Impossible" is the very first novel written for the popular television show of the same name. [Although the show had a colon in the title between the two words.] It was written by Walter Wager, however, he was credited in the book as John Tiger. I did my homework.

You may not have known this, but I have been a fan of the Mission: Impossible series for a long time. I have actually seen all of the episodes of both shows and the films. I was very curious to see what the first novel was like. The book I ended up with was very worn and used, but all the story was there. I think that's one of the fascinating things about books. They keep their story as long as the pages are still present and readable.

This book was written during the odd first season where Dan Briggs was still the point man of the series. I always liked him, but apparently the show was just having problems with the actor, so they had to nix him. The book does well to not only represent the original cast of the show, but it goes a little bit into why they do what they do. This is something the show really never bothered explaining.

The story is actually about how the IM Force goes after a former-Nazi living in South America who is making plans for a Forth Reich. He is developing a terrible gas called Dexon-9 which he plans to use to turn a lot of people into brainless invalids. He is extremely well-protected and the statute of limitations for his war crimes are about to come to an end. This was essentially the impossible mission they had, and it was a lot of fun seeing how they pulled it all together to get the job done. Other than that, I won't spoil how they did it.

I do recommend "Mission Impossible." There are copies of the book still floating around. I was a bit surprised at the very violent explanation of some of the harsher scenes. This was something that the show stayed away from. Either way, it was a good read, and I don't regret picking it up.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. So, the Mission Impossible book series inspired the naming scheme used for the RIDDICK movies. Now we know. There was no statute of limitations for war crimes, but fiction taking such liberties has been used EFFECTIVELY before, such as in Lethal Weapon 2, when a diplomat blows up a bunch of LAPD officers but has diplomatic immunity: NOPE! Made the plot especially interesting... so... okay. Very interesting that not only did many high ranking Nazi officers escape to South America, but Hitler himself did so. If only "John Tiger" knew that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give them a pass on the name because it was, after all, the very first book written for a brand new series. The rest of the books had various subtitles.

      Delete
  2. I always loved "Mission:Impossible", I remember I saw the first movie in theaters when I was a kid and was super excited about it. It's cool that you found a quality novel based on the series. The plot sounds really cool, John Tiger did his research it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a good job. By far, not the best book I read, but it was still worth the read. Enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. That which is written tends to have greater depth than what is filmed. To read something requires patience not usually needed by one who merely views. By taking the time to build up the characters, you can provide a more engrossing experience.

    ReplyDelete