Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Song of Solomon [Book Review]

What even happened here? I'm so confused. Let me explain: When I finished "Ecclesiastes," I was pretty comfortable with the Bible. Although I had some grief from some bad writing or slightly uninteresting stories, I did think it was a good book. However, all that stopped suddenly.

I did not even remember that there was a book called "Song of Solomon." I drilled book titles for the "Holy Bible" when I was young, so I must have hit this one before, but when I saw the title of this book, I honestly felt as if it was the first time I ever saw it. But there it was, right there as if it was going to be this mysterious, never-heard-of book of the Bible. I had no memory of anyone ever quoting it. What happened? After reading it, I figured it out. It's kind of pointless.

"Song of Solomon" is twenty-second book of the "Holy Bible." I don't know who the author or authors are, but I seriously doubt it was written by Solomon. More often then not, the author sounds feminine, but I cannot be sure.

"Song of Solomon" is a collection of absolutely gushing romantic writings. Every chapter in it is pretty much that. It just goes on like that for fifteen minutes and then stops. That's it. No wonder nobody ever quotes this book to me. It's near meaningless.

Now, to be fair, I did read up on it to see what Christians see in it. I found out that a lot of Christians see it as a way to view one's relationship with God. I'm sorry, but no. This book is obviously one human writing about love to another human. That's all it is, and it is very generic about it. That is not to say that it is written poorly. Oh, "Song of Solomon" is, in fact, extremely well written, but it isn't really about anything relevant to the Bible.

Up until this book, every book in the Bible had extreme relevance as religious literature. "Esther" is a little shaky, but it still loosely fits in with the theme. "Song of Solomon" is just humans gushing about other humans. That's it. And for these reasons, I don't really recommend the book. I'm not joking. I see it as entirely skippable unless you just want to read some random romantic writings. And if you do choose to put yourself through it, it isn't very long at all. It has to be the shortest book I've read so far. Either way, I'm pretty good to move on.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting that they haven't excluded Song of Solomon from the Bible. It may very well have been written by a female, Solomon did have his weakness. It seems totally unnecessary either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song of Solomon may have been TO Solomon, in which case he may have reminded the scholars that he has the wisdom of God, so "include it because a woman in love with me because of my wisdom." Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is love, so romantic writings definitely have their place. That which you cherish holds a special place in your heart. It is not good that man should be alone, so an help was made meet for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Don, but I am just going to reject this outright. It sounds too much like a weak rationalization. The book doesn't belong in there!

      Delete