Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Mustelidae Spotlight: Giant Otter

Welcome to South America where the otters grow to a whopping 5.6 feet in length! Goodness! The giant otter--a name well deserved--is actually the longest member of the mustelidae family. Best of all, you know these guys are sweet because they look like they're made of chocolate. That's right! I said it! All those "otter" guys aren't made of chocolate!

The giant otter is so big that to see one is a little imposing. They come in large groups too. Like many other species of otter--dismissing the European variety--these musties love the fellowship of others. They also like to play. Imagine how much noise these big guys would make splashing about all day long. Actually, it might be nosier than you'd think.

Giant otters talk! Well, sort of. They have a complex lexicon of sounds that they make which all mean something particular. Little "hah hah" sounding barks are used to express interest in something. It is a little like saying, "Oh, look! There's a friendly fish I can eat!" It can also mean something spooky like: "Oh, look! That fish is staring at me funny. Maybe, I should eat it." The latter sound was also described--in my research--as an explosive snort. I am still trying to figure out what that would sound like. Giant otters also employ a sort of screaming sound which is akin to yelling out, "I found the fish! Attack!" They also sometimes coo and make cute noises which means to say, "I love you. Please, let me eat your fish." Unfortunately, newborn pups can only squeak which is too bad since only mice could understand anything they are saying. Really, I researched this!

As you may have figured out by now, giant otters feed mainly on fish. Oddly, however, they tend to be independent hunters. This contrasts from their usual group mentality. They will almost always hunt as individuals. They tend to find their own spot and stick to it. Nobody else is allowed there. That's there fishing spot. No one else is allowed to go to... "otter space!" Still, I don't see why the extra fish can't be shared.

Groups of giant otters generally have a pecking order. A colony is usually ruled by a mated pair. It almost feels like a monarchy in this respect. Behold! His Majesty, King Otto, and his wife, Queen Fishface! Trust me, she has earned that name.

In fiction, the giant otter is mostly in legends. But I warn you: a lot of it is really weird. In an Achurar folk story, giant otters are water spirits who assisted a man who had wasted his sexual energy. Now, just bear with me for a moment. The story says that the otters helped create the anacondas of the world from the man's--and I quote--"distressed and extended genitals." The Asian otter tales are sounding pretty good right now. The Bororo believe that people who swallowed a tobacco leaf instead of smoking it would turn into a giant otter. Seems reasonable. In a more fairy-like tale, the Kichwa people believed in someone named Yaku who ruled over the water and fish. Cutely, the giant otters served as her own personal canoes. I like this story better than the genital-snake one.

Comically, I see these particular otters as happy fish enthusiasts. They have these events where they sit around a table and sample different types of fish and discuss in intricate detailed about which fish is better than others. Sound "fishy" to me, but I suppose such events are "prawn" to such behavior. But with these guys, any"fin" is possible.

Okay. I am so sorry I did that.

Anyways, the giant otter is definitely deserving of the musty hall-of-fame for being the largest of them all. And for being made of chocolate. Okay, in the future, I really need to relax before I write these things. I hope you enjoyed all the otter blogs! You "otter" come back next week! There might be fish!

Thank you for reading this incredibly silly blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. EXPLOSIVE SNORT!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a pretty big otter. Interesting that they can talk, after a fashion. They probably hunt alone, because more than one would scare the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. But they should still share. Good otters would share. I'm just saying.

      Delete