Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Love of Marsupials

Whenever I think of marsupials, the two words that come to my mind are "Australia" and "Big." I think ever since the movie "Crocodile Dundee" came out, we have seen Australia as a big, dangerous place with big, dangerous animals, and the only way to survive there is by being a big, dangerous human being. And I am sure there is some truth to this--at least, for some of the less civilized areas. I actually found out that when you get off of a plane in Australia, you are commonly offered crocodile attack insurance. Enough said!

The most well-known marsupial is most certainly the kangaroo, and kangaroos are very big. I have been so fascinated by the marsupial that I have created a semi-popular character named Tooie who is a very large kangaroo girl. She was fairly well-liked, and many people drew fan-art of her over the years. However, there are far more marsupials than the kangaroo, and they are all quite interesting in their own way.

As a matter of fact, I have to say that marsupials tend to be very distinct of each other and often quite weird. I really do mean weird--by the way. Some of the stuff I read... Well, let's just say it gets freaky. There is a lot of diversity in this group, and that is the fun of it. I think most of all, that is what I really love about the fascinating world of the marsupial!

Marsupials also have a good number of well-known species which also have their place in fiction. I run into them quite a lot! I have also used a number of marsupials in my own fiction. Generally, they do make for interesting characters, and their personalities can be quite varied to fit the original animals.

Next week, I will be introducing you to them. There aren't quite as many as with the rodents and the musties, but I think the sheer diversity of the group will make up for what they lack in numbers. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Thank you for reading this blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Even the smaller kangaroos are dangerous. A kick can break bones. I can only imagine what the other marsupials are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think that is weird, wait until you hear about the other guys!

      Delete