Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Marsupial Spotlight: Bandicoot

There are many kinds of bandicoots, so this blog will be more of a summary. We'll get into more specific breeds later.

The bandicoot is a rodent-like marsupial. They look a little like miniature kangaroos and move about in a similar manner. This creature has very strong hind legs and tiny front legs generally used for digging. A bandicoot also has a long snout. They are about the size of a small rabbit weighing only about 4 pounds.

The long snout is probably its most distinguishing feature. It is quite useful in foraging around in the dirt. The bandicoot is an omnivore, and it does quite enjoy beetles and earthworms when they can get a hold of them. Their front paws are quite good at digging. The general order of hunting involves a little digging and a little poking. Eventually, they'll find what their looking for.

Although bandicoots can have up to 5 young, they generally only have 2 or 3. These marsupials are not macropods; not all marsupials are. They care for their young as most other mammals do. I did find it a little odd that they have 8 nipples when they can only bear up to 5 children. Extra milk for everyone!

These creatures are generally very fast. It is the same principle that makes the kangaroo so swift. They use those strong back legs to zip about at the first sign of danger. If you remember, jerboas were similar in this respect.

I was surprised at how troubled the bandicoots are. Some of them are already extinct, and many are endangered. It is really too bad when you consider how cute they are. Anybody who knows me personally is aware at how much I love rodents. The bandicoot is almost a rodent in my eyes. I wouldn't even mind having one as a pet.

In fiction, I know of only one bandicoot--this being Crash Bandicoot. He is the main character of a number of video games by famed developer Naughty Dog. I have played a few of these games, and I found them to be extremely difficult. They were also very wacky. Despite real bandicoots being very small, Crash was a very big fellow. He was also really... What is the word? Nuts? His ridiculous expressions in the games made me chuckle. But like I said, the games were very difficult, and I never finished any of them.

I think Naughty Dog had fun with their Crash Bandicoot character; however, I don't think they captured the spirit of the creature in any way. I see bandicoots as very docile people who work hard for their own survival. They could easily be farmers. They know a thing or two about the land and take great pride in tending to it. In the case of danger, I do see them running away or depending on stronger support.

There will be more bandicoots to come later. For now, bask in the rodent-like images of the tiny marsupial that I very much love.

Thank you for reading my blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. AHOODAMAGA!



2 comments:

  1. They do look like miniature kangaroos. Though, they would scatter before boxing anyone. With so many of them endangered, I don't blame them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, some of their breeds are already extinct.

      Delete