Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Crustacean Spotlight: Japanese Spider Crab

Most everyone knows what a crab is. We usually see a little shelled creature with spindly legs that walks sideways. A crab is a crab when it comes down to it, but what makes the Japanese spider crab so amazing shall become apparent very soon.

The gimmick of these fellows are found within its description. The main body of the Japanese spider crab--shell and all--can grow as large as 16 inches in width. That is pretty big for a crab, but watch out! The legs of this creature can grow as long as 18 feet. That makes this crab the largest in the world.

This crab can be found off the southern coast of the Japanese island Honshū. They can often be found in depths as low as almost 2000 feet. They enjoy inhabiting vents or holes deep below the water's surface.

The long legs are used by the females to carry their larvae. The larvae develop in these pouches for up to 72 days at which point they will develop into something much more like a crab; however, they tend not to look anything like the parent until much later. Additionally, the Japanese spider crab is an omnivore and will feed on whatever plant and animal matter they can get a hold of.

So the main thing about this crab is how large and spooky it looks. I did not really go into this with a fictional character in mind. I was thinking more like alien invasion. Can you imagine a swarm of these creatures crawling towards you? There is something intensely alien about them. They remind me of odd things I have seen in movies and games--such as the alien ships in War of the Worlds and the striders from Half-Life 2. It is very possible that this creature has inspired such fiction. I beg you to consider the possibility.

For now, you should have a look at these marvelous picture. The ones with humans in them are best because it provides a size comparison. How creepy they are! I love it!

Thank you for reading my blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Thank you!







4 comments:

  1. These things are quite alien in appearance. I can definitely see them as omnivores. I am still trying to imagine the females using those long legs to carry their larvae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I wanted to see that too. Sorry for the lack of pictures.

      Delete
  2. Wow 18 feet! That's a big crab, I definitely could see them as Alien invaders. I bet they have inspired works of fiction.

    ReplyDelete