Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Rabbits Run

I was sad when I finally finished watching "The Loony Tunes Show." I wanted more but realized that it was really over. I worried there would be nothing more from the crew. I was happily wrong in this. There was a movie based around this show released in 2015 called "Rabbits Run."

Long story short: I did love the movie. It's a weird one though. Even though all the characters act like their counterparts from the show, they have entirely mixed up lives. It really feels like an alternate reality version of the show.

For example, Bugs Bunny was a cab driver and had not even met Lola yet. Foghorn was a military general. And Daffy... well he was still a dick. (Not a typo.) They took the humor and formula from the show and just remixed it into its own thing. It felt like a fresh start, and I liked it. I'm glad they bothered, honestly.

Yosemite Sam had me worried for a bit. He was trying to rob a bank with only some squirt guns. I figured this was just a matter of censorship which was never present in the actual show. Fortunately, this was just a tease because the scene ultimately leads into more gun violence than I even remotely expected. It was a hilariously violent scene, and I was laughing my ass off for the entire event.

Mac and Tosh (the Goofy Gophers) were back and more fruity than I have ever seen them. They went all out with them. The writers pretty much just slammed into them with a gay club and went all the way. They even got one of two songs in the film, and of the two, this song was so wonderfully gay! I loved it!

Two small complaints. Firstly, it seems the movie was far more outsourced than the show was. It shows. The characters look a bit janky and strange at times. I learned to live with it despite this. Entirely tolerable.

My second problem was the very limited role of Daffy Duck. It was more of a cameo, but it was a WONDERFUL cameo. He even got the final scene of the movie which cracked me up. I do wish he had a more important role in the movie though.

All in all, I recommend this movie if you were a fan of the show. It carried over the wit and humor but in an alternate reality. It was a wonderful mix-up that kept me entertained for the full hour and a half. Rabbits Run is presently available on the Boomerang streaming service and well worth your time.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It was an alternate reality telling in the same way the old originals had characters in different eras as different nationalities with never an explanation, such as Yosemite Sam being a pirate in one episode, an Arab marauder in yet another then a Hessian during the American Revolution. The universe is as looney as the characters. Continuity be damned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And this movie pretty much followed those rules. Why not?!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun movie. Too bad about the outsourcing, I wish more was done in-house in modern shows. But it still sounds like a good movie, the fruity gophers always crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looney Tunes are some of the best cartoons. They did not take themselves too seriously, so they were a lot of fun. As long as it continues this way, the enjoyment will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same here. Just shooting for the alternate reality was a good idea for the movie so that you didn't have the show biting at your ankles.

      Delete