Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Fairy Tale Spotlight: That Time I Ended Up a Rabbit, Part 2

As I remember it, I contemplated, once more, if I was in a dream. I did not do this because I thought the things that were happening were extraordinary. In truth, I was doing it because I was afraid. The fox had a sort of way of being frightening while also being calm. He had just suggested that the only reason he knew I had never met a talking fox was because I was still capable of breathing. The message had been delivered. I suddenly felt very small before someone who looked only slightly taller than I was.

My long ears, something that I was not yet accustomed to, were hanging aside my head. They were, it seemed, tethered hard to my emotions. They hung only because I was worried. I could not get them to right themselves until my mood was heightened. It felt both alien and natural. I was not yet accustomed to being a rabbit, yet there were certain aspect of being one that came naturally to me in the moment.

Fear was most definitely upon me. I felt that I was under threat, and I did, indeed, feel a bit stupid for accepting an invitation into the den of a fox, despite how tidy and clean it was. I began to realize what I had become and why it was a bad thing to be in the situation I was presently in. I questioned reality itself, not if reality was real, but more that I did not understand its fairness. Why did it happen? How would it end. If I died... would anything really matter?

It was as I had these thoughts and feelings that the fox, taking a break to enjoy his hot tea, continued to speak, and so our conversation continued in this way:

Fox: I do not often have guests. I am accustomed to living alone and being alone within this house of mine.

Me: I can leave if you prefer.

Fox: Oh, no. I've invited you. You can't possibly leave now. Goodness. What would be the point of inviting someone only to let them escape? Would be quite silly. [Sip.]

Me: Can I ask you a question then?

Fox: Of course. I am an open book.

Me: Did you have anything to do with me ending up here? [He only stared at me. I expanded on my question in order to be more clear.] Did you have anything to do with me becoming a rabbit in the first place?

Fox: [After much more staring, he placed down his tea cup.] Look here. I had nothing to do with what you are or how you came to be sitting here before me. This world has rules and ways. You are a rabbit because God wanted you to be a rabbit. You are in my home because you were sitting outside of it. If you had been sitting inside of your warren, this story would have been different.

Me: I don't remember anything about a warren. I am a human being, and all I did was go to bed. I fell through to here somehow... and ended up a rabbit. I'm not a rabbit. I've never been a rabbit. Can't you understand what I am trying to say?

Fox: [After a long pause.] Yes. I do understand. You're an imbecile then.

Me: [I was crestfallen.] No.

Fox: There is no shame. You can only be what you are. But let me give you a piece of advice to help you in your present situation.

Me: What's that?

Fox: Accept yourself. If you do not know or understand what that is, let me help you. You are a rabbit. You are a little rabbit that somehow ended up sitting in front of my home. It would be prudent for you to forget the nonsense you have told me and just assume, whether you believe it or not, that you have always been a rabbit. What's more, you are a guest in my home, and this home is owned by a fox. I offered you tea, and you rejected that offer. That is the present state of affairs that you now have to suffer through. That's all there is to it. Questioning everything will do you no good, and it will have the added side effect of annoying your gracious host. Now, I don't really know a better way to explain this. I've said my piece. It's all up to you now. If you're really just an imbecile, I have a swift way of dealing with that. Would you like to see how?

Me: No.

Fox: Then might I ask you as to what you are and why you are here?

Me: I'm a rabbit. I was invited to your home because I was found to be outside of it.

Fox: Mhm. No, I don't think you are an imbecile after all. I do, perhaps, think you may be stupid though. No shame in it. We are all given our intellects in the beginning and not really given much choice in its quality. I am smarter than you, rabbit. Do you deny it?

Me: I... You really want me to say that?

Fox: Ignorance and ego make dangerous bedfellows... especially in this house.

Me: [I reluctantly complied.] You are smarter than I am.

Fox: Well, consider me quite pleased to hear you say so. I don't normally have guests, as I have said. Are you sure you don't want any tea? If you wish, I can decide for you.

Me: Would you?

Fox: I'll go get you some. Besides... you should try things once in a while. How will you ever have an opinion on hot tea if you never try it?

Me: Yeah.

Fox: [Standing up.] Of course. Of course. I shall return shortly... and then we shall discuss your visit further.

Although I had been with this fox for nearly half an hour, I had never felt so alone. I really was on my own. I could not leave. I was in a body that I did not understand. Through a series of subtle threats, this fox had forced me into a state of verbal submission. I felt as if I could not say anything but what was expected of me. What was I to do? This story is not quite at an end.

-----

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. The calm and collected fox is an interesting contrast to the timid and confused rabbit. To be stuck in an unfamiliar body dealing with a strange situation can't be fun. Interesting that the rabbit gives up on his own decision and lets the Fox decide for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do, so this sort of thing happens.

      Delete
  2. The fox is dominating his prey to make it easier to subdue. Acceptance of the tea will lead to confusion. Is the host really going to devour his guest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fox is determined to decide who and what "the rabbit" is. I've seen this before, often. I am beyond comprehension, so those who hate me for not being them, describe me as if I am one of them. My supposed sins are their ACTUAL sins. Rather than convince me that I am something I am not, they show me WHO and WHAT they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here the rabbit is not what he thinks he should be.

      Delete