Friday, March 4, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders [Book Review]

"Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders" is a novel written by William Harrington, and it was published in 1994. Although I have a small gripe (very small), I really enjoyed reading it. As it turns out, Mr. Harrington is probably the most trusted individual in writing this series of books.

This book is what I would call the very definition of a Columbo story, and that's really all I ask from reading it. I read it because I happen to like the Columbo formula, which includes having the entire crime spoiled for me at the beginning. It's all about if Columbo can prove his case in that charming way he goes about doing it. This book is no exception to the rule.

My tiny gripe was that the promotions for this book were misleading. The name itself and the reviews suggest that Columbo himself was tackling the murders of Charles Manson. Although he does do that, it is merely done in summary. The actual villain of the book is just some guy the author made up, as interesting as he was. I was rather astonished at some of the silly reviews on the cover, one going so far as to say that it was as terrifying as "Silence of the Lambs." The latter is an outright, blatant lie. The book is, at no point, even remotely terrifying and should never be compared to the aforementioned book.

I don't really blame William Harrington for this. It seems like his publishers got a little too ambitious for their own good. The thing of it is... this book is quite a wonderful read. I enjoyed every moment of it. I never felt patronized by a writer who knew more than I did. And William does actually know more of the subject matter than me, being that he is a former criminal lawyer. Everything was written in a way that I, a simple person, can understand it.

That said... I don't really want to spoil the book. All you need to know is that, although the story is related to the Manson case, it is not really about it. In fact, it takes place waaaaay after that whole thing went down. The tie-in was excellently done, and this book is worth reading. But giving out spoilers for a mystery book is not my thing, so I'll leave it at that.

I totally recommend "Columbo: The Helter Skelter Murders" with the caveat that you just ignore the ridiculous publisher reviews and hype. It is a very stock-standard but excellent Columbo story that is worth reading, and it's knowledgeable connection the the Manson case did impress. Enjoy.

This blog was written on January 12, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. To have Columbo solve the Helter Skelter murders would be an alternate history version of the actual event...and that would have been quite interesting. I think the showrunners of the franchise did not want to divorce the universe too much form ours, however, preferring to have Columbo as a character we can assume "really" exists in our own universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been wonderful to really had a man like this in reality. He is a good example of the least being the greatest.

      Delete
  2. The author being a former criminal lawyer is more apt to give the work a certain verisimilitude. He has personal experience in criminal cases, and might have a better understanding of those who engage in such acts. The real trick is to make it believable that the case was solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the one to do it. I've read two of his books so far, and he is spot on!

      Delete
  3. It's awesome that Harrington stays true to Columbo's character. I would rather the publish not lie about the book though, it's the modern equivalent of click bait. They could have sold it better but I am glad it's a good read. Interesting that the Manson murders are cold case at the time of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing the publisher did was silly and unnecessary. I'm disappointed in them.

      Delete