Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Pit and the Pendulum [Short Story Review]

The reason I don't review a lot of Poe stories is because I am not a fan of how he writes. This applies more so to his earlier stories. When I get to the end of them, I don't really feel like writing a review because I don't want to say a story is objectively bad just because of a subjective opinion about how a person writes. But there are some cases that his writing does not really get on my nerves as much, as is the case with this one.

"The Pit and the Pendulum" is a story written by Edgar Allan Poe, and it was published in 1842. It is a dark story set in the time of the Inquisition, a period that really does seem to be one that Poe would be inspired by.

Without really spoiling the story, which is quite short, it is really an intense narrative that carefully describes the very horrific circumstances that the protagonist has been placed in. The opening scene is in complete darkness, and that is related surprisingly well. Not an easy thing to do in writing.

The description of the latter mentioned pendulum and how it is presented in the story is very spooky without sounding as if it is supernatural. It all sounds very real but done in a way to take a man's mind out of a reasonable world. It's all about the torture of the mind as a man tries to escape from what constantly appears to be an impossible situation.

One thing that kind of surprised me here was that there was more of a positive ending. I would not call it an outright good ending, but it was higher on the positive scale than I normally see in his stories. But I won't say exactly what happens.

"The Pit and the Pendulum" is easily one of Poe's best works. It's worth your time. I completely recommend it.

This blog was written on June 6, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It was PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR before the theme even had a term. It played with the mind of the reader as the torturers played with the mind of the protagonist, our representative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it works really well in words. I got really into it.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this in my youth and being freaked out by the situation. Definitely one of Poe's best. The impending doom is well described and engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been an experience to read this when you were young. I didn't read any horror until just recently.

      Delete
  3. The darkness would drive one mad, as the anticipation continued to build. Our minds play cruel tricks, imagining the blade is about to strike when it is not quite there. The helplessness would be overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phycological horror works because it would actually work in real life as well.

      Delete