Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar [Short Story Review]

"The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" is a short story written by Edgar Allan Poe, and it was published in 1945. It was one of the more interesting stories I have read from this author.

I have mentioned before that I have a interest in hypnosis. This story is a surprisingly good horror hypnosis story. The whole idea of it is based on the question: Can you hypnotize a dying man into... not dying? At first, I was having a little trouble realizing that this was the plot, but once I realized just what going on, I got really excited.

I am a big fan of hypnosis being used in crazy or spooky ways. This is sort of a mad scientist type story, but the mad scientist is being taken seriously by the people surrounding him.

A real creepy thing about the story is that the dying man kind of needs to die. It's his time. His body is in the process of shutting down. He's extremely sick, and it's time for him to move on. So the idea of putting a firm halt to his ability to die is where the creep factor lies. Something unnatural is taking place.

I don't want to spoil the ending, but I really do recommend "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" for those who find hypnosis stories fun. I was pleasantly surprised with how seriously it was taken. Poe did me proud with this one. Give it a read. It's not very long and gets right to the point.

This blog was written on September 19, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting, I don't think I've read this one. The concept is creepy, to prolong suffering is indeed unnatural. Mad science lends itself to horror so very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's my favorite so far. I love stuff about hypnosis, so I am kinda bias.

      Delete
  2. There is a difference between living and persisting. The latter is unnatural, and would cause problems. Such a person would not be considered truly alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death isn't natural, but when it happens, it's final.

      Delete