Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [Book Review]

[Only minor spoilers included.]

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is the chronologically fifth book of "The Chronicles of Narnia" series written by C. S. Lewis. It was published in 1952. This is an extremely unusual one and is not very similar to the ones that came before it, although it is very much a sequel to the story of "Prince Caspian."

The basics of the story is that Edmund, Lucy, and a real brat of a boy by the name of Eustace end up going to Narnia by way of a painting. They end up on a sailing vessel called the Dawn Treader. The entire story is a sea fairing adventure that visits a number of islands before ultimately encountering the end of the world.

The thing that makes this particular Narnia book unique is that it actually kinda reads like an Oz book. I'm not joking. I was getting some real Oz vibes from this one. The characters are constantly encountering these strange enchanted areas and having to deal with them as a problem. This is a very common thing found in Oz stories. There was even very silly moments as well in reference to the Duffers. I think this book bridged the gap between Narnia fans and Oz fans quite well.

The story does still end very seriously though, and I should say that it was one of the most wonderful endings in the whole series. For those of you who have read "The Pilgrims Progress," this one will especially speak to you. The endings of both books have a similar feel.

On the new character Eustace: I liked him. He reminded me of Colin from "The Secret Garden." Very similar character-type! I liked them both for the same reason.  He's a bratty brat, but he learns humility and ends up with a bit of maturity for it too. Great stuff!

I lastly want to mention that this is the final story of Reepicheep. This is his best book of the two he is in. Absolutely a main character and wonderful from beginning to end. He's perfect.

I don't wanna spoil anything else. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is a fantastic read, and I recommend it.

This blog was written on August 3, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It was very much like STAR TREK too. Instead of planets defined by cultures of distinct themes, it was islands. Reepicheep was the most memorable character. I remember the "Alsan's country" theme decades after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Star Trek is also a great comparison. They were traveling where no man had gone before.

      Delete
  2. Oh yea, I can see the correlation between "The Voyage of The Dawn Treader" and Oz. Yea I read "The Pilgrim's Progress" after this and yea I can see the same vibes in the ending. Never thought of Eustace being like Colin until you pointed it out, interesting yea I agree, definitely cut from the same cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has a very similar ending but still different.

      Delete
  3. It was a good opportunity to sail around exploring the world. You get a few moments to relax in the midst of the adventure. Yet, the ending brings everything together.

    ReplyDelete