Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Cat From Outer Space [Book Review]

"The Cat From Outer Space" is a book written by Ted Key. It was published in 1978. It is the adaptation of the Disney movie of the same. I've been wanting to read this for a while. I actually picked this one to take a mental breather from "Odd John."

The story is about a cat named Jake who, like the title says, is from outer space. His ship hits space debris while flying near Earth, and so he has to land in order to make repairs. He is super intelligent and uses a technologically advanced collar that can convert his thoughts into reality. It also allows him to talk to people by transferring his thoughts into the minds of others.

The lore here is that cats were always aliens, and Earth is just one of their many colonies. We think we are making them pets, but we are actually serving there needs so that they can live happy and contented lives. I love this. It even goes into how they were once worshiped by the Egyptians. Brilliant.

Everything having to do with Jake in the book is well delivered and fascinating. What isn't good is how the military is presented. The writer just did not understand what the American military was and how it worked. There was even a weird scene where a top general reads a guy his Miranda rights after arresting him. A general wouldn't do that. He'd just throw you in the car and take you away! He's not a policeman!

I do like the guy who Jake befriends. His name was Wilson, and he was one of those types that just march to the beat of his own drum. He seems weird to other people, but his mind is just more open than theirs. Jake realized this about him, and I like the wisdom in allying with him. Good stuff.

Despite liking a lot of things about "The Cat From Outer Space," I don't think I'm going to recommend it. I think it's more something I can enjoy for my own reasons, but this book just has a lot of problems. It mainly stems from how the American military is just so ignorantly presented. I get that the story is mainly a comedy, but it certainly isn't a smart comedy. Still, Jake was seriously awesome.

This blog was written on September 23, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Cute concept. Yeah, cats do expect to be pampered, so maybe we are their servants. Jake's ship was a simple yet pretty design, both inside and out. As for how the military is portrayed, I do like that "Col. Potter" was finally promoted to general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything about the ship in the book screamed cat. It even made a purring sound.

      Delete
  2. The movie was a fun bizzarro fiction, it's a shame the book has those faults. As for the idea, I think it's a great concept especially considering I'm pretty sure my cat Vincent is from another time and space haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are things about a work that can ruin the experience. If something distracts you from what is being presented, you will tend to focus on it. Just like a dot placed on a blank page, it will draw your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also you shouldn't write about something you know nothing about. People who do understand something will see it and not like it.

      Delete