Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Kobolds Are Cute

Not long ago, Kobolds were suddenly changed to be something far more standardized. Although before, they were just another generic fairy monster that could be just about anything. The current standard makes them out to be a bunch of colorful lizards. Little mini-dragons if you will.

From what I can tell, they like to go on adventures and often get into trouble, mainly from just getting in over their heads. They don't always die, but a lot of them do, and that seems to be the fate of many a kobold. The funny thing about it is that no matter how many you kill, there will probably be more to replace them.

The kobolds we have today look like they were born in one of those gumball machines that spit out the little plastic bubbles. Remember those? I can imagine people wanting to collect little kobolds from one of those machines.

It's a bit remarkable to me that something so prone to being killed has a sort of collector's value to them. I even imagine them getting captured by some wealthy eccentric that keeps them in a room where he can accessorize them and show them off to people for bragging rights. As cute as they are, I can see that happening.

Kobolds tend to think of themselves very seriously, but they will always be low-level individuals. They can't deal with heroes or big monsters. But they might still try... and fail. I think one of the reason people like them so much is because they really aren't all that intimidating, even when they are trying to be.

That's really all I wanted to talk about this time. I just moved into a house and got a new laptop. I'm also in the middle of a bunch of books, so I have nothing to review. Hope you enjoyed reading this either way.

This blog was written on October 17, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Kobolds are to fantasy what anonymous henchwomen are to me: PLENTIFUL AND PATHETIC. They are WONDERFUL for being pathetic, not pathetic. Though unloved in their stories, they are loved by us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And weirdly, it did not happen until the new versions came out only recently.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting how popular Kobolds are, I guess it's because they are small creatures with big hearts. They like adventure even though they are bad at it, they try their hardest nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can enjoy their exploits, even though they tend to end badly. Determination can only take you so far, but they will keep struggling to overcome their limitations. We should take inspiration from this in dealing with our own problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do but hopefully will lead to a better fate.

      Delete