Thursday, June 18, 2015

Una the Witch

"Una the Witch" by T.K. Wade (As told by Quin, guide of Skiouros.)

This is the story of Una the witch–a story I know well. She was from times older than we know and perhaps lives even unto this very day. She is a servant of Vis; however, she also uses his power in unholy ways. It is a wonder why Vis should allow her to live at all. Perhaps, she gave enough sacrifice of herself to warrant his amnesty.

Una often would keep to herself, but to the poor squirrels who would get lost in the woods, they would often find her house which was made of both vines twisted into the carcasses of dead animals. It was a horrible place, and one could not escape it. Those who came across her lair might try and walk away, but they would find it again no matter how many directions they walked. It was hopeless.

The poor travelers would either knock upon her door which was made of martin bone or suffer starvation as time would progress. She would allow them in, and the inside was not much better than it appeared on the outside. All things of her house was made of plant and dead nature as designed by Vis. You may well imagine their terror at seeing this; however, Una herself was quite comely and would give them some hope of escape.

It is not known exactly what was done to these visitors, but one thing is certain, they would always be found again entirely mad. Only a special mixture of bark and bone could cure them of this madness, and even then, it would only last a day. This is a very strange tale, and I am unsure if it is true. We have not heard of this witch in a very long time. Perhaps, she is dead. We do not know for certain.

I will tell you this. In my days as a guide, I have a memory of seeing the very house that is described upon this carved tree. I was leading a man to Chad, and the path did not seem familiar to me despite having traveled it many times. I remember seeing the terrible house of Una the witch, but I remember nothing more than that.

I woke up on the outskirts of Chad, and my client was nowhere to be seen. I never did see him again. I always wonder if I will find him someday completely mad, but who knows? Perhaps, I dreamed it all. I am quite strange, you know. If I wasn’t, I would not prefer to sleep among my hares!

-Glossary-

Skiouros: The great forest country of squirrels which is west of Murridae.

Vis: The squirrel god of nature.

Chad: Capitol city of Skiouros.

Witch: Witches in this universe have powerful links to a single god. This is not always a bad thing. It often leads to a life of dedication that causes them to be reclusive from society. The reason they are called witches is cause their direct link to their god causes them to exhibit certain supernatural abilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment