Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Marsupial Spotlight: Diprotodon

I would like to welcome you to the very last Marsupial Spotlight. It is hard to believe that I have made as many of these as I really did. Indeed, there were not quite as many as there were rodents, but that's a tall order, and I don't fault them for coming short. But now, I wish to introduce you to one last prehistoric marsupial called the diprotodon.

Right off, I must point out that the diprotodon is officially the largest marsupial to have ever lived. They were almost 10 feet long from head to tail and 6 and a half feet tall. They were also quite fat and looked a lot like a hippo with a very large nose. They were believed to weigh a whopping 3 tons! Hey, marsupials are known for being big and powerful, and the diprotodon did not disappoint.

The diprotodons are believed to be distant cousins to modern day wombats and koalas. I don't know about the latter, but wombats make sense. Remember how the wombat was known for bowling over people and through fences? Imagine the 3-ton diprotodon running towards your house. No more house!

A close relation to the wombat is rather scary, but it also means they were herbivores. I have noticed that a lot of very large creatures tends to be more docile. I'm sure the diprotodon was also a prey as well, and why not? That's a lot of food! But still, it is very clear they could defend themselves with a good old-fashioned charge.

Although, I know very little of their sexual habits, I do know that the females had pouches--very large ones. The pouches actually went in the opposite direction than most other marsupial pouches, and I found this odd. This is commonly a trait of a burrower, but I really don't think they did that sort of thing. I am sure there was a good reason for it, but I could not figure it out.

That's really what I know, but you should look at those pictures. They really are quite beastly for a prey. The aboriginal tribes of Australia may have thought this creature to be some sort of monster. There is a creature they commonly told stories about called a bunyip that was very dangerous to human beings. They were monsters known to live in swamps and would kill anyone who got near them with big, sharp teeth. It is widely believed that the bunyip was inspired by bones found of the diprotodon. I still consider tales like this to be fiction, and that is why I bring it up.

Personally, I see these large creature as an immensely strong people who don't want trouble. They want to live a peaceful life and just left alone. However, if you think you can step on them, they would come at you like wild giants and stomp you into dust. Just don't mess with them, and you'll be okay.

So that's all! There will be no more Marsupial Spotlights after today. Yes, there are more marsupials out there, but you will not believe the trouble I had researching them. It seems to me that all marsupials are apart of a popularity contest. If one did not really get a lot of votes, the encyclopedia would get only an honorable mention; however, if it was a super cool animal that everyone loved to look at, you'd get a three-pager. I didn't have to deal with this problem with rodents and mustelids. Either way, I think I covered all the main groups, and I am satisfied with what I have here. I hope you enjoyed it.

Marsupials are the third of three of my most favorite animal types in the world. I really wanted to cover them for you, and I am very satisfied that I have made the time to do it. This brings the end of not only the marsupials, but also the end of my favorite animal classes in the world. Don't worry though! There will be more! I have many more spotlights to write! I hope you look forward to them all!

Thank you for reading this blog! If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Thank you all!






The Bunyip

2 comments:

  1. They do look like big, furry hippos. I would hate to see one barreling through the neighborhood. It's a good thing they were herbivores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they won't eat you. But still, no more house.

      Delete