Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My Love of Animals

On Friday, June 28, 2013, I wrote a blog called "My Love of Rodents." This was to be an introductory blog that would lead into a series called "Rodent Spotlight." I began the series with "Rodent Spotlight: Mouse" on Saturday, July 13, 2013. It was a short blog with very little research attached. It contained more of what I personally liked about them, and that was all. It was followed up with one about rats, and then I just about forgot about the whole thing. Yes, I forgot about it.

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014, I decided to reboot the blog. It returned with "Rodent Spotlight: Jerboa," and it was a far more educational as far as the fictional aspect. I still did not provide much information about the animal, but I had--in a way--set a standard for future Spotlight blogs. The idea was to tell you about the rodent, talk about their influence on fiction, and then give you an idea of how I felt about them personally. It simply became the way I did things from then on. I have been doing one Spotlight a week unto this very day.

Along the way, there had been a few weird ones. Occasionally, I wanted to present an animal from their perspective. The best of these was likely "Rodent Spotlight: Vole." This blog was presented as a vole couple who did not have long to live and was rapidly progressing through life trying to make their mark in the world. It was a joy to write. Even though I did a few others later on, I don't think I ever topped this one.

After 36 Rodent Spotlight Blogs, I called it quits and decided to move on. On Tuesday, June 30, 2015, I wrote a blog called "My Love of Mustelidae." Likewise, this was the beginning of a new Spotlight series. The very next Tuesday, I wrote, "Mustelidae Spotlight: Weasel." This began a long journey into the world of weasels, ferrets, and otters. Here we got to know a far more predatory set of creatures who were often known for being sneaky and cruel. The series ran for only 28 spotlights but was full of fun and interesting information.

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016, I began a new series with the blog "My Love of Marsupials" followed by "Marsupial Spotlight: Kangaroo." This would be the beginning of the end of my three favorite animal classes in the world. It dealt with a fascinating and diversified group of animals that came in all sizes. The Spotlight series only lasted 21 blogs mainly because of difficulties with research; however, I was totally satisfied with what I had. At the close of this Spotlight series, I had written no less than 85 Spotlight blogs along with the three introductory blogs.

 Now that you are up to speed, I would like you welcome to Tuesday, July 21, 2016 where I will be beginning my next Spotlight series! So, who will it be? Well, the truth is, I'm going to wing it. Rodents, Mustelids, and Marsupials were really my favorite animals, but there is an animal here and there from other classes that I like as well. I am going to skip gaily around the animal kingdom looking for all those particular animals that I love. This could take a while.

The name of each Spotlight will be in constant flux. I will be naming it based on their class. The reason for this is because I may touch upon more than one animal in each class. But to be clear: I will ONLY do Spotlights for animals that fascinate me. They have to be animals that I love. I will write them until I cannot think of anymore, and then I will bring the series to another close.

Thanks to everyone who stayed with me for so long. I enjoyed the comments along the way. Talking about animals is not simply for the viewer; it also helps me relate to them more. I am a writer, and learning about these animals gives me new ideas. It is an intense, inspirational, and creative journey. I really don't want it to ever end. So, be sure to return next week for the new Spotlight. Who knows what it will be about? It's a mystery!

Thank you for reading my blog. If you enjoyed it, you can comment below, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Thank you very much!

4 comments:

  1. Due to the research you have put in, I have learned a lot about these various creatures. The world is full of such wonders if one takes the time to look. I am looking forward to what you come up with next, Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back lots of fond memories from your previous blogs. It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about animals. I await your next spotlight with gleeful anticipation.

    ReplyDelete