Thursday, July 5, 2018

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Child and the Hyena

I wrote this short fable in 2011. I'll comment fully after presenting to you. Enjoy!

-----

A curious child separated from his father when he heard the cackling of a hyena in the distance, and when he did approach the beast, he asked, “Are you laughing at me?” To which the hyena replied with a sinister glare, “I do not laugh at you but for the folly of a father who does nothing to keep watch over his own child in such a dangerous place.”

-----

This is actually my least favorite of my fables. That is not to say that I hate it, but I rather enjoy my other ones much more. Nevertheless, let's have a look at it.

The story is not particularly clever in its presentation. I know I sound a bit self critical, but every time I read this I just feel like some part of it is flat. I went for the stereotype of a laughing hyena. If you have ever heard a hyena, they really do sound like they are giggling. The story is more or less just mocking parents who are not being as responsible with their children as they should be. Although this is an important lesson to learn, I don't think the story really survives entirely on the laughing hyena joke. It just feels harsh to me especially when you realize the child is likely about to die.

I did not include a moral because it was probably pretty clear by the last line. Aesop often left the moral section blank when the story was painfully self explanatory. And the story does very well follow the formula and style of an Aesop story. I think it is passable, but I definitely did better fables than this later on.

Do you agree with my self-criticism? Was I too rough or was I correct in bashing the story? I want to know how you feel about it! Also if you have a moral that you think belongs tagged to this story, what would it be? Please let me know!

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy? If so you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It's a pretty good fable. The part I like most about it is the fact that the child's arrogance is met a toothy maw. It's a good life lesson, if we care about those laughing at us and wander from our path our pride will indeed proceed our fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I gotta disagree with you there, Chris! This is more against the parents than the child. The child is the victim here. Always felt bad that he gets eaten.

      Delete
  2. One line such as "said the hunger hyena" would have made the fable satisfactory. It would have emphasized the obvious in a way that makes its ending more of an ending, and by merely a strong hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point of the tale is simple: watch over your young. Too many parents seek to avoid responsibility, because they never really grew up. And that is why things are falling apart.

    ReplyDelete