Thursday, January 24, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: An Uninterested Monster

While we are spending this week a bit introspectively, let's look at something that I sometimes think about. Ever heard of the story "The Reluctant Dragon" by Kenneth Grahame? Great story and an even greater short film made by Disney. No, this blog isn't about that story. I wanna talk about something similar though.

The dragon in that story simply did not want to participate in violence. That's an interesting character, to be sure, but what if this was interpreted in a much darker way. It's something I think of as "An Uninterested Monster."

This creature isn't a dragon so much as its a hideous creature soaked in the shadows of its dark cave. It's a bit like he is actually a part of the cave, but not entirely. I am sure he could separate himself if he cared to. This monster does not like people and he does, indeed, have violent tendencies. The only thing is... he isn't interested in using them. He isn't interested in anything.

Nevertheless, when people heard of him, they thought he had to be slain. Someone went to go meet with this monster and was disgusted by the things the creature said and the way that he looked. The monster had a spiteful tongue and would say nasty things to this visitor who came in uninvited. When threatened, the creature only scoffed and began to ignore his guest. Afterwards, the people's drive to slay the monster seemed all the more pushed.

The monster is indeed hideous. He has nasty thoughts and speaks them regularly. But the truth of the matter is that he is never going to leave that cave. He poses no real threat. I'm not even sure if he would fight if someone attacked him. My problem has to do with why so many people want to put him down.

You may wonder if I am telling you a story that I read somewhere, but I'm really not. I don't even know how it ends. When I look up, my mind's eye sees the silhouette, of a person-like monster stuck to the earth by webs of some sticky substance. He groans from the oppression of his environment. I'm fairly certain that he has a full head of hair, but other than that, I know nothing else. I simply know he is a monster and that people hate him for it.

No doubt this creature is merely a thought inside of my head, but I can't really say I feel any disdain for him. I don't find the creature really all that dangerous. I am more sour to the other people who think he should be killed simply because they dislike his looks and his mannerisms. Nasty words aside, none of what he is or does threatens anybody even remotely.

I wish I had more for you on this subject, but the Uninterested Monster is not something I have really documented. This blog is really the entire body of written work pertaining to the creature. I'd love to hear what you think of it. Maybe your comments will give me some insights on who he really is.

Thank you for reading my blog. Did you enjoy it? You can leave a comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. His snide comments may be justified accusations. Those do anger people most. He may simply be annoyed because he was bothered. People are curious and their curiosity brings them to him uninvited. We don't know. We do know he keeps to himself and humans do not. They want to kill him and he has never said or done anything threatening. He never intruded in on them. The mystery is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nasty attitude has nothing at all to do with good or evil. I'm pretty sure of it. There is a false belief that a good person acts like a good and upstanding person in the community.

      Delete
    2. Considering that the people who screw people over the most do so with the right to do so, I think you're right.

      Delete
  2. Being stuck in a cave would tend to darken one's mood. People would be determined to destroy him merely for his hideous aspect. If they cannot help, they should leave him alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People tend to dislike ugly. The way of the world which is based on a fair skinned man demands it. it has nothing to do with the truth however.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating concept, people tend to become enraged when they can not fit something within their box. This creatures breaks "the rules" so they view it as an unnatural abomination, one that they believe should be dealt with. Of course this is from demonic brainwashing, "the rules" are fed to the masses so that they will reject what is good and embrace their lives of mediocrity. The creature has done no wrong, it is by the ego of their masters that the people lash out at him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the aggressiveness is on the human's side. Whatever this this is just wants to be left alone.

      Delete