Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Is Mary Poppins a Fairy?

I don't know how you all felt about it, but I was absolutely horrified at the idea of Disney making a sequel to the perfectly amazing 1964 motion picture Mary Poppins. Please don't ever do that again. I just don't trust Hollywood anymore. They mess so many wonderful things up. But I have to be the first to admit that... this new movie... It's really good. I mean... It's reaaaaallllly good! I suppose a great weight got lifted from my heart now that I know it's good. I'll just get recommendations out of the way. It's worth it! Go see the movie, especially if you adored the original!

I have always been fascinated with the character of Mary Poppins. Now, the character was actually created by author P.L. Travers. I haven't read the book. I am a bit scared to do so for very good reasons. Disney has a long and glorious track record of making the movies way more interesting than the original books/stories. Need examples?

-Bambi
-Bedknobs and Broomsticks
-Alice in Wonderland
-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
-The Little Mermaid

All five of those movies were based on books and old tales, and I can guarantee that the Disney versions were just better written. In fact, I may go into a few of those in later blogs. My point on this one here is that it is a well known fact that Disney pretty much did his own thing when it came to interpreting P.L. Traver's book. And something tells me that I might end up bored if I read it. But who knows? Maybe I'll have a crack at it someday. Either way, this blog is only referring to Mary Poppins as presented in the Disney films.

Mary Poppins is the very definition of what a fairy is and should be. In fact, we may be talking angel here. Remember that she is perfect in every way. That actually may be true. And if it is, I don't think demon would be appropriate. Demons always seem to have a lack. It comes from being the next generation down. What do I mean by this? Demons are actually the offspring of angels when they breed with earthly things. Mary Poppins never ever shows any sort of negative in every aspect of her life. She is actually perfection. That not only makes her a fairy, it very well means she is a direct creation of God himself.

So am I saying that angels have the ability to bend reality, jump into paintings, and cause all manner of wondrous things like in the movies? The answer is yes, at least from your limited perspective. Angels are not closed up as most humans are. They can see everything on every frequency and interpret it all in real time. They can even manipulate these frequencies and draw people into it which can have a similar effect to some of the things Mary Poppins did in the movies.

In both movies, the working class of London were all enamored with Mary Poppins and worshiped her with song and dance. Not really surprising. She is perfect in both charm and beauty. Men would worship her. She accepted this praise as well, which I don't consider wrong. It seemed a bit of an innocent thing, and she was never pushy about it. At the end of the day, she was always concerned with the children. Once again... angel.

Now what if all that worship went to her head and she began to dictate terms of praise? Well, that's where we begin to dance our way in to the realm of evil. Mary Poppins would never do that. She acts only on behalf of the children, but she still flirts with all the men who adore and love her because she genuinely likes them. Trust me, angels are weird creatures. They are difficult to understand, but one thing that will always be true about them: They are powerful and they are great!

We dream of meeting someone like Mary Poppins. She is a strong reminder of one of the most perfect creations of God. But she is also frightening in her perfect construction. She is unbeatable. No one can best her. She can do anything she wants to anyone, and yet... she focuses on the very real plight of the children. She is there to help them. And when they are finally helped... she leaves. And that's all.

There isn't anything in it for her. It's her job. She is a nanny. Once the job is ended, there is no reason to be there anymore. Mary Poppins is not an example of a fallen angel. She's just an angel doing what an angel should be doing. But more importantly, she's a fairy. And as with most fairies, they fascinate us. We can't stop loving them. We want to see the world the way they see it... but... we just keep coming up short. And so we end up pouring all our love out to these ethereal beings hoping to at least grasp even a small amount of what they are made of for ourselves. And maybe that's okay... at least in small amounts.

Mary Poppins really is perfect in every way. Humans never are. There's a massive ocean between the two of us. Next time you watch either of these movies, watch what she does and how she reacts very carefully. See if you don't get a little attached. See if you don't swoon a little. There's a reason for that. She isn't of this world. She never was.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you like it? You can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! One of your best blogs yet. Not only did you convince me to see the new movie, but you gave it more depth than even the makers imagined. You make your argument, proving your point. Yes, she is not a demon for demons suffer the entropy of material things. She is an angel, an immaterial entity that can materialize and manipulate both energy and matter. She is Amaterasu if Amaterasu overcame vanity for the sake of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remained consistent about who she was with both movies. It is really telling in how she reacts, acts, and deals with all things by who she is.

      Delete
  2. When angels do what they were created to do it is a wonderful thing. However, once they start basking in the praise everything goes wrong. Pride becomes their downfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a fan of the original growing up, I'm glad they stayed true to the original. Yea she definitely is an angel, she executes her function perfectly in every way. Anyone who would be in her presence would indeed be captivated by her perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure I would too. Angels are very hard to resist.

      Delete