Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Mole People

The Mole People (1956) is a genuinely good movie with one very unfortunate flaw. Is it still worth seeing? Sure! I just want to put that one flaw into perspective so you can be ready for it. I won't be doing much spoiling. The flaw that I mentioned is a bit of a spoiler, but I feel I have to punish the naughty filmmakers who put it in the movie.

The movie out rightly assumed that the Biblical flood happened. This was actually the hook that got me interested. I was paying close attention to everything after that. Regardless of what really happened during the flood, the movie tells of a civilization that hid underground during the Great Flood and survived it. Although they did ended up trapped down there. This is another Hollow Earth type story, but I liked how it was crossed over with Biblical history.

The people living down there are worshipers of Ishtar and survive by limiting their numbers through means of sacrificing each other to their goddess. I found it really interesting that they did this. It reminds me of how the elites of the world want to cut down on the world population in order to better take control of us. Georgian Guide Stones anyone? No?

Oh, yes. And there were mole people. I guess it was a trend in the 50's to name your movie after the monster. They were pretty interesting too, but hardly a major part of the film (and honestly not even all that monstrous). The hidden city of Ishtar was far more interesting and the actual reason to watch the movie. With that, I think I have said enough. I don't want to spoil anything else. Just know it is very good and worth your time.

But wait. That flaw. There is something really stupid in this movie and it happens within the very last 10 seconds of the film. Remember my last blog about AHP? It happens in this movie and it is incredibly stupid. It doesn't ruin the film, but it does knock a solid star off of it. It was dumb and they shouldn't have done it.

The Mole People is a genuinely interesting and enjoyable movie throughout. The characters are acted out well enough. I enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who likes good 50's adventure films, Biblical and prehistory references, and realistic fairy lore. Enjoy!

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading about this story while studying HOLLOW EARTH lore. It seems the books were made into this movie. PELLUCIDAR by Edgar Rice Burroughs was another such work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool. I didn't know it was based on something. I mean I knew about Hollow Earth but not this actual story.

      Delete
  2. I think I overlooked this film, definitely gonna check it out. The City of Ishtar sounds fascinating, the idea of civilizations living within our earth is interesting and fuels the imagination. Sad about the AHP moment, still sounds like a fun movie though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all done well enough! It had my attention throughout. Not all old adventure movies do that.

      Delete
  3. Even they admit there was a cataclysm which nearly wiped out all life on Earth. However, they gloss over the cause because it does does not fit with their agenda. For intellectuals, they certainly ignore the evidence when it does not agree with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people today just ignore the Flood altogether. I was surprised to see it mentioned at all.

      Delete