Thursday, August 13, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Cloudy With a Chance of Imagination

I was driving to my friend's house today (7-30-20) when I saw something in the sky that I thought was very amusing. Apparently somebody high up in the sky was giving me a big (very big) thumbs up. It was clearly a hand. I saw the thumb and the curled up knuckles and the arm leading up to the hand that was forming this gesture. It was quite clear to me that this was not just a cloud formation; it was someone somewhere showing me their approval.

I was about 40 seconds from a turn. I realized that if I didn't get a picture of it, all I would have was a story and no proof. So while I was driving at 55 miles per hour, I fished my phone out of my pocket, tapped the home button twice to get it into camera mode, and flashed a picture right off my dashboard while frantically swerving away from honking cars about to hit me while I was extremely distracted by a massive thumbs up. I nearly died.

What was worse... So frantic was I during this spontaneous act of picture taking, I was pretty sure that the image would end up blurred while I was frantically getting the car under control. But what was I to do? I did my best, dropped the phone onto the passenger seat, and turned to go see my friend.

I think people talk about clouds in the same way a lot. People marvel about how we can see image in random vapor formations. It's been talked about many times, and I feel a little silly bringing it up again. But I think it is something entirely human to look at clouds and see things that just aren't there. But then again, who is to say that they aren't? What is a painting but a random smattering of color? Only we see something in them when we do it. In such a way, we are making random cloud formations whenever we do art. It's all the same, yeah? It takes a human mind to interpret any of it. When an animal sees a painting, they are less likely to see anything at all.

But then people giggle and chortle about seeing things in the clouds. Why? Because they are just the result of the weather. We're silly people to see anything in them at all. But then I still am reminded about the painting example. If we can throw stuff together to make art, so can God. And if we just happen to see something in them, then I'd call it good.

By the way, there's a happy ending to this story. That picture I took while swerving madly on the road, desperately trying to save my life: It turned out pretty good. 😀

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!


6 comments:

  1. The Artist is crazy and flamboyant, so don't be so sure he didn't give you this thumb up. He was probably amused by your trouble on the road like we are watching such things in a comedy. I mean: we did inherit our sense of humor from this guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is silly as heck. He probably did it as both a way to show his approval and to give me a scare when I almost crashed. What a jerk.

      Delete
  2. The picture did indeed turn out wonderful, the message was received loud and clear as well. God would so do this just to see your reaction haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see things like this sometimes. I'm pretty confident in myself already... but it helps.

      Delete
  3. Art is all about inspiration, and nature is teeming with it. Those lacking in imagination will miss what is right before their eyes. It takes a caring heart to truly see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More so imagination. There's a lot of people out there without any.

      Delete