Thursday, August 6, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Doom

Doom is a game that came out in 1993. By today's standards, it is entirely obsolete in every single way. Thousands of games have come out since then. Most of them better looking, with better controls, and with an all around better experience. So why am I still playing it?

Interestingly, my first actual experience with the original game was for Super Nintendo. It was a terrible port with horrible controls, but I was a bit shocked to see 3D graphics to that scale on a system not really known for such things. Still, it wasn't very good, but I liked the idea of it. I don't think I really got into Doom full scale until 2006 when it was released on Xbox 360 with full controller support. I still had not had much experience with it, but I remembered the experience from the old SNES days, and I wanted to give it another shot.

I loved it. There are not enough words to truly express my love for this game. And yes, I like the sequels as well, but right now... I am only talking about the first one.

Doom was about a space marine trapped on a Mars base during a demonic invasion from Hell. There's nothing really accurate about it, but I never really cared. It's pretty much a game about a badass dude that kicks demon ass for hours at a time. I love it. I can't get enough of it. I am still playing the original game to this day.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a tendency to play games on the easiest setting. The exception to this rule has always been Doom. The game seems to get more fun and exciting on harder difficulties. They add more enemies and make some of them a bit faster. It does get harder, but the difficulty adds more of an intensity to it that never seems unfair. The earlier difficulties can get a bit boring after you've taken off the training wheels, and it's really hard to go backwards.

It does boggle my mind as to how this game has remained popular long after its time. It's not just me. Many people still play the original doom. There is still a bustling modding community for it. People are still making new levels for it like crazy. That game never died.

I guess I'll talk about the series a bit more later, but I was just so amazed at the lasting appeal for such an old game. I mean it's nearly 30 years old! What an amazing game. I'll probably be playing it until the day I die.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It is inarguable that DOOM is an excellent. It survived the test of time for 27 years! Most games, even popular ones, fail to remain popular for 27 months. Even those that do fade away over the years, with very few exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the most solid game I have ever played. And keep in mind that the SNES version is not good at all. It STILL got my attention and made me want to play a better copy. There is an amazing draw to this game.

      Delete
  2. Doom I believe was the first PC game I ever played. It still has the same badass flair today as it had then. The high octane music and devil may care attitude of "Doom Guy" has kept this game alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit surprised that old MIDI music still holds up. I rather enjoy it. That stuff rocks!

      Delete
  3. It's a game where you run around fighting monsters from hell. The makers used a simple premise and kept the game play exciting. Though it could be challenging at times, that meant you had to pay attention to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying attention, yes. But boy you can get into the swing of it the more you play. It becomes something like a dance eventually.

      Delete