Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Pocket Fairylands

What is a pocket fairyland? It refers to another place or even an entire world that exits in either a very small space or where the entrance to that world is found in what one would imagine to be a small contained space. The most obvious example of this would be Narnia, which, in one book, was found by entering into a wardrobe. Don't tell me that isn't awesome!

I've seen and read about multiple versions of this sort of phenomenon. My favorite is probably the Nutcracker stories which had the protagonist entering into the fairyland through a grandfather clock. Star Wars did something similar with Luke when he went into a cave and appeared to find another world inside of it, although he did not stay there very long.

I like this idea a lot. I enjoy the thought of looking at a cabinet in my kitchen and imagining that it leads somewhere fantastic somehow. I fiddled with the idea of it back when I was writing my book "A Wolf in My Bedroom." It was never implemented in the story, but I originally imagined that the wolf was from a fairyland that could be accessed by crawling through a log within a forest. Unsurprisingly, I ended up dropping the entire fairyland idea for that story in order to make it into more of a modern day interpretation of "Little Red Riding Hood."

The whole concept of pocket fairylands gives me a thrill. It seems to make a bit more sense then how Oz is explained. This world is merely on a different frequency. It is layered over or under the one we exist on. These entryways merely serve as a frequency changing portal between the two realms. You're still technically embodying the same space, but nobody would be able to see or interact with you but for those who are within the same realm.

Where it is true that these fairylands are not really pocket-sized, the idea of going into a small place and ending up in the very large place still seems to make the word make sense. It's also just a fun term to use, in my opinion. But think back to the many fairy tales you have read and seen. How many times have you encountered a pocket fairyland, and also have you imagined one for yourself? Let me know!

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. The idea is especially interesting when the portal is something common. Your idea about it being a fallen log is a good one. It makes everything mundane potentially strange and wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes the imagination spin. I have always enjoyed the concept.

      Delete
  2. Pocket fairylands are cool, I remember the first time I read about Narnia how I thought it was awesome. I mean to be able to travel from our mundane world into a portal to another full of fantastic things would be fun. I would love to explore one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only! I would love to go to a place like that!

      Delete
  3. Since we do not know everything, anything is possible. With all our knowledge, our understanding is quite limited. There could actually be worlds within worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's possible. I think the fascination with world's found within everyday objects is super attractive.

      Delete