Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Rogue

So funny thing: I've recently gotten into lockpicking. I'm not the best at it, but I find myself getting more and more into it as the days go by. The very first time I picked open my first lock, there was a thrill to it. Honestly, when my first lock opened, I was not sure exactly what I did. That's usually how it goes. I figure out the technique later.

Of course, I am not advocating anything illegal here. It's just a little hobby of mine. If anything, I'd be able to get back into the house if I got locked out. But there really is a thrill to is, and I actually find the act of opening a lock the wrong way very relaxing. It's turned into a bit of a fidget thing with me.

There is something odd about opening a lock without a key. It feels like you are being incredibly sneaky. I think this is why rogues in stories are so fascinating. They seem to have a way of getting around without the usual authority to do so. They seem to function on their own authority. It's rather exciting.

We see these heroes or villains often wearing some sort of cloak. They might be more likely to wield a dagger rather than a sword. Naturally a rogue makes a good assassin. They have to pick your lock before they go in and kill you. There is also, of course, the thief. These are all mainstays in popular fiction.

One thing I have learned from studying lockpicking is that there is no lock that cannot be opened as long as you have the proper skill for it. Locks do vary in difficulty. It takes a combination of practice, skill, and the proper tools to get into the most difficult locks. I was surprised that between the few locks that I have, every one of them required a different type of pick and tension bar.

One downside for me is that learning how lockpicking works has ruined some of the silly lockpicking minigames in popular video games. I have to roll my eyes at them. They are ridiculous to all but the ignorant of real lockpicking. But I can still get a chuckle out of it regardless.

I would not call me an actual rogue. My skill level in such things are still lacking, and I doubt I'll ever really be that sneaky, but like I said... it's a hobby. It's just a little something I added to my life to make it more interesting... and then I thought I'd write a blog about it. That's all.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. You like to solve puzzles of all sorts. This is one of the oldest and most useful skills in doing such. I mean, what is a lock but a puzzle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a puzzle! I do like deciphering them. So far all of the locks I bought opened differently and with different tools.

      Delete
  2. There are locks for protection and there are locks to the chains that keep people in bondage. We can use our skills for good or for evil. It is up to us to make the best use of our talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty cool hobby you got there. There is something compelling about having the means to open a lock without the key. Rogues have are indeed inspired by the notion that they undermine the authority of those who hold the keys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every time I unlock a lock without a key, I get a little thrill.

      Delete